revision

lucylou
on 2/1/13 11:29 am - Canada
I am now 5 years post op with an rny. I gained about 70 pounds back and the bariatric clinic here wont see me and my doctor in toronto had his seceretary tell me to eat less exercise more when I asked about a revision, or if there was mechanical failure. I feel at a loss right now. Does anyone know about getting a revision in canada?

Cuter_w_Curves
on 2/1/13 11:37 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

It is my understanding that any revisions are sent through the registry... Is it possible to get a referral to it?

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

lucylou
on 2/1/13 11:49 am - Canada
My doctor in toronto wont do a referral for me. My doctir here refered me too the new bariatric clinic here that opened up, but since I had surgery already they wont accept me,plus they dont do revisions.
Cuter_w_Curves
on 2/1/13 12:15 pm - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

http://www.ontariobariatricnetwork.ca/revision-surgery.aspx

This is how you should be entering... through the registry. Regardless... Not sure where HERE is or what new clinic you mean so...

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

Tereza
on 2/1/13 12:04 pm

I had revision done on Feb. 8th. I was allowed to have the revision as it was discovered that my previous surgery that I had 12 years ago had failed and was actually causing damage to my stomach. I think that you can have revision surgery done if there was something wrong with your first surgery.

Now mine was really bad and I was pushed through the process really quickly because of the damage and the need for repair. Dr. Klein discovered this when he did a scope. I had been suffering from major pain and he did the scope and discovered all the damage.

Not sure if this would apply to you but there is no harm in asking your previous surgery to be checked just in case it has failed. Not sure if this helps but I wish you all the best.

Teresa :)

JJ_
on 2/1/13 12:08 pm

What part of your original surgery is not working?  How much are you eating in a day?  Do you track your fluids, protein and vitamins?  Do you exercise?   Do you not drink fluids when you eat? How are you blood work results?  Did you continue to be followed after surgery for 5 years?  At least annually after the first year?  How were those appointments?

What surgery would you revise to?  What do you think would work now?  What has changed since you first started to regain weight? 

The previous poster is correct in that all patients need to be referred to the bariatric registry in Ontario.  Is there another doctor that can refer you?  What about a walk-in clinic?

As you can see I have a lot of questions.....

Judy

Sueg
on 2/1/13 12:30 pm - Canada

I am not sure were you live but Ottawa will do revisions if you have something anatomicaly wrong. But you need to have your doctor refer you to the bariatric centre here in ottawa. I am in the process now with tests being done to see if i qualify.

mermaidz
on 2/1/13 11:08 pm - Brampton, Canada

The criteria for getting a revision is very strict. It must be because it is causing you irreparable damage physically or mechanical failure.

If it is a case of simply "falling off the wagon" you might have a very difficult time ahead..I'm sorry. I'm not trying to burst your hopes but simply giving you the realities of the situation.

Good luck

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

Most Active
Recent Topics