1 month out. A few eating issues and the dreaded C word.

Karidian
on 2/16/13 10:46 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 01/16/13

Hey all,

Things are going well for me lately.  1 month out, in the transition from puree to soft foods.    I feel pretty great lately.   Went to the Auto show yesterday and walked for 5 hours without too much problem. (And I forgot my fitbit at home, dammit). The surgery is turning out to be everything I hoped for. 

Except..

I've had a few episodes on puree with the feeling of food not going down.  Each time was with different food, and in each case, I was eating slowly, and chewed well.   Once was soft moist meat, another with moist mashed potatoes.  Today was a very soft stew and didn't even finish my small portion.   Can't figure it out.   Today I just sat and waited over and hour as the rock in my chest slowly eased out.  I had to sip some water after an hour and suddenly it was a huge burpfest as I started to feel better.   Anyone have any ideas on this?  

And I've been fighting constipation for about 1 and 1/2 weeks.  I've been drinking at least 2l of water, which isn't easy.  (I feel like growing a fast colony of water bottles as they're are like 5 in each room all over the house).  I'm still taking a stool softener, and I've added a bit of metamucil to a number of meals, but it's still a problem.  I've read online about benefibre but I can't find seem to find it.  Any ideas where to find it?  Anything I can do to help things ..along?

Thanks for reading :)

-Mike

Surgery date:  January 16 2013 -  Beware, I LIVED.

"Not all those who wander are lost..."

GirlSassy
on 2/16/13 10:48 am - Kingston, Canada

My centre has recommended Milk of Magnesium for my "solid" poo!

Orientation - April 25, 2012, Nurse - May 16, 2012, Social Worker - May 25, Dietician - May 25, 2012, Abdominal Ultrasound - June 29, 2012, Cardiologist - August 1, 2012 Pre-Surgical Education Class September 19, 2012, Meet with Surgeon September 27, 2012, PATTS November 9, 2012, Surgery Date November 16, 2012 (Dr. Mamazza)

Karidian
on 2/17/13 9:18 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 01/16/13
Isn't MOM really hard on your system? I have it but I was holding off until I was really in trouble.

Moselle
on 2/16/13 11:06 am - Athens, Canada

Personally I eat Bran Buds about 1/4 cup a day. You can add them to yogurt or cottage cheese and it keeps things moving for me.

I bought the Benefibre sugar-free singles that mixed with water just like a crystal light. I just bought them at Shopper's.

I get that painful chest feeling if I eat to quickly or don't chew something well enough. Sounds like you are doing well. Keep up the good work.

All the best,  Muriel

"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out." -Robert Collier
Join Kingston Ontario WLS Support Group - Online @ OH 

HW: 267         SW: 248       GW:155       LW: 132      CW: 143-148      

Karidian
on 2/17/13 9:22 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 01/16/13
Well, I went out today and bought some bran buds. Everyone was recommending them so I figured it was a my best shot. I've also had the same meal as before tonight and ate slower and had no issues. :)

Nanato2
on 2/16/13 11:44 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Michael sounds like you are doing great try using Senokot-S twice a day and see if that helps. 

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Karidian
on 2/17/13 9:24 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 01/16/13
I am feeling pretty good :). How is your recovery coming along?

Nanato2
on 2/17/13 9:49 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Not to bad biggest issue is sleeping.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

neatneatneat
on 2/16/13 11:46 am - Canada

I got Benefibre at Shoppers Drugmart.  I add it to my beneprotein, crystal light and water.  Great stuff.  I also would like to second the Milk of Magnesia.  MOM is the way.

Katie M.  

Karidian
on 2/17/13 9:29 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 01/16/13
I've got a friend getting me a bunch of benefiber, since it appears all the shoppers here dont stock it anymore. Oh, I know MOM works :),, just want to try something a little gentler at first.

Most Active
Recent Topics