Is any alchohol permitted, 3 months post op?

Kidbd
on 2/23/13 3:30 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 01/10/13

I am going to sons wedding in April in Las Vegas. I was just wondering if I'm able to follow my food content pretty close by eating out for 7 days, is it possible to have a small drink or two by then? I am not a drinker, so, this never crossed my mind, but I would like to be able to celebrate just a little. 

2mar
on 2/23/13 3:35 am
RNY on 09/20/12

keep in mind that some people will dump - it has a ton of sugars in it. And if will "shoot" to your head right away...

I did not drink as yet - if you do I would try it first (1/4 glass) and see how you react.  KInd-a hard if it surprise you then when you do not want to get sick for sure that day....

Cuter_w_Curves
on 2/23/13 3:35 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

Ok... So you are going o be told by many it is too soon, etc.

I am going to say this...

I went to Vegas last year and had no alcohol because I was with 2 non-drinkers and I was able to celebrate perfectly without it.

Alcohol has a lot of calories, carbs, etc. and it can be a risk for some... It either hits them fast, or it tastes a bit too good. I am not sure I would try it while away.

Just my own thoughts.

Shell

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

2mar
on 2/23/13 3:36 am
RNY on 09/20/12

lol... posted at same time...

:)

Cuter_w_Curves
on 2/23/13 3:36 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

*chuckle* I see that!

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

gimpymom
on 2/23/13 3:36 am

I actually had my first small ( 1 oz) glass of wine at 3 months out...it did not seem to bother me but even to this day if I have any alcohol I will not drive- cuz one never knows

Johanna

referral  Nov 23, 2011 orientation Dec 16   PATT Aug 9 OR DATE Aug. 20, 2012 ACHIEVED CLINIC GOAL Feb. 2013

jellyfishattack
on 2/23/13 3:51 am - Canada
RNY on 03/11/13

Hi Kidbd,

Since it's a really special occasion, why don't you try having a very small amount of wine in your hotel room just a day or two before the wedding?  Then, you'll know how the alcohol might affect you - dumping, getting woozy fast.  I wouldn't think I could have one or two real sized drinks 3 months out, because I can't even have half of one without feeling tipsy now (and I'm pre-op).  Don't they always say, 'try out new foods at home first', lol!

Jenn.  :)

1st appointment - Feb. 23rd, 2012. RNY Dr Cyriac Mar. 11th, 2013.

Nanato2
on 2/23/13 3:54 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

TWH says no alcohol for 6 months.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

4-Jane
on 2/23/13 5:34 am - Canada

No and it will be tough enough 7 days away I might try to ensure you have a fridge in your room and visit a grocery store to help with your eating have some cranberry 1/4 to 3/4 water and other will think you have red wine.  

Respectfully Jane
Onward and
Downward

on 2/23/13 6:07 am, edited 2/23/13 6:10 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

My answer for me would be no.  Certainly not "a drink or two" if we're being told not to have any alcohol for six months.  A sip?  A quarter or third of a glass?  Maybe, if I had a really special occasion happening, but definitely not a full glass or two glasses.  Maybe a sip of my husband's glass.

One of the things I'm learning post-op is how to celebrate and socialize in general without drinking.  And the best thing is, I'm not finding it difficult at all.  I thought I would, but I'm not.  I mean, I'm not a major drinker anyhow, and I didn't have to drink at every social occasion, but usually I'd have a glass of wine or a ****tail with dinner out.  I'm enjoying life just as much without - in fact, enjoying life overall so much more because of the weight I'm losing because of the RNY.  Not having a drink for six months is a small price to pay for that enjoyment. :)

Just think of all the great things you're going to be able to do at his wedding that you might not have been able to do as well heavier.  I can move so much better, dance without getting exhausted after 5 minutes, look fabulous in an evening gown (well, more fabulous than before, anyhow...), and my confidence is through the roof.  Honestly, when I'm out, I get high on all that, and it's a way better high than a glass of wine! :)

Good luck and enjoy your son's wedding no matter what you decide.  But I'd really caution against two glasses, anyhow - apparently after RNYs, we become pretty cheap drunks - it hits us hard and fast! 

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Most Active
Recent Topics