No desire to eat.....

kim_emma02
on 3/1/13 6:59 am - Ontario, Canada

Well here I am, 4 weeks post op tomorrow and I have absolutely no desire to eat.  I get hungry when it's time for a meal but when I try to eat anything it tastes like garbage and I simply don't want it.  Food used to be such a happy thing for me (thus my lifelong weight issues) and now it has become a chore.  I know that I need to eat to fuel my body and I am now simply trying to eat the things that I can find that are high in protein, helping to eliminate the need to eat as much.  I am getting all of my vitamins in and working hard on the water (although it sits so heavy in my stomach and makes me nauseous even with crystal lite or MIO added).

Has anyone else had this issue???  Is this a phase???  Please say that it is........  I have my 1 month appt at the Bariatric Clinic on Wednesday thank goodness so I will bring up the question.  Just wanted to see if anyone else out there has had the same problem and what you did about it.

Kim 

RNY 02/04/2013 with Dr Starr

Cuter_w_Curves
on 3/1/13 7:10 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

I had the issue pre-op. I have it post-op. For me it comes and goes... I have to find something to tempt myself with that I enjoy the taste of still.

Try taking it back to basics. Little or no salt, sweeteners, etc. and slowly add them back in. If things are tasting like garbage it may be overwhelming.

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

kim_emma02
on 3/1/13 7:19 am - Ontario, Canada

Thanks Shell!  It's nice to know that I am not alone.  I'm still on the minced diet and don't use much in the was of sweeteners (other than crystal lite) and I have to make sure I get a decent amount of salt (already had some low sodium issues since surgery).  I think my biggest issue might be the fact that I have to put protein first so at lunch and dinner that means...... Meat (usually chicken).  I was never much of a meat eater before my pre-op protein diet and chewing it to a pulp makes it worse.  I am replacing 1 meal with a protein shake with skim milk and have some laughing cow cheese for evening snack.  I try to get in a greek yogurt for breakfast and can usually choke down 1/2-3/4s of it.  I can't stomach tofu and other meat substitutes.  Maybe I'm overwhelmed or possibly just bored of my current options......  Who knows!!!

Cuter_w_Curves
on 3/1/13 7:21 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

I'd be bored with that. Check the What Are You Eating thread. I have the info for my turkey shepherds pie in there. ;-)

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

kim_emma02
on 3/1/13 7:23 am - Ontario, Canada

Thanks!  I'll check it out

kellybelly333
on 3/2/13 2:05 am - Toronto, Canada

I personally loved the fact that I hated food. It felt like a miracle to me. Eating was a chore, but it was worth the weight loss, and the fact I didn't have to take diabetes meds was a lovely bonus.

This too shall pass, and maybe you'll be happy when your tastes come back. I was pissed, myself LOL

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

kim_emma02
on 3/2/13 4:15 am - Ontario, Canada

Thank you!  I agree that it is worth it when I step on the scale.  Hopefully at some point it won't upset me so much to have to sit down and have a meal.  I'm just finding it difficult to get enough protein in and I know that, that is the most important thing right now.  I certainly don't want to enjoy eating the way that I did in the past, just would like to be able to tolerate eating. 

Lorieliz
on 3/2/13 8:44 am - Canada

I wold try to just drink protein if you are having such a a hard time, I imagine it will resolve in time. I LOVE eggs and will be eating em. Also, look for protein to sprinkle, like chia seeds. Do some protein surfing and find ways to add protein to what you do like to eat.

Good luck. I can't wait to not want to eat. Fuel only. Eat to live, not live to eat.

Referral St. Joe's, Hamilton - Surgery May 28, 013 

kim_emma02
on 3/2/13 8:53 am - Ontario, Canada

I am very happy that I now only eat to live, not live to eat!  I have Beneprotein that I put in to pretty much everything and manage to choke down 1 protein shake made with skim milk a day so that helps.  Trying to find a new protein shake that appeals to me more than your standard flavours.  I was happy to find that I still like Beef Stew tonight and it sat well!  Shouldn't have started something like stew until Monday but I made sure to take small bites, chew very well, eat slowly and made sure the beef was very lean.  I have to pick up some Egg Beaters to make my scrambled eggs since they don't have the fat that a regular egg has and that way I can eat them more often. 

Lots of luck to you when it is your turn!

RNY 02/04/2013 with Dr Starr

Most Active
Recent Topics