Oh MY,,,It's my turn!!!

Sarahs_journey
on 3/1/13 12:24 am - London, Canada

Hi everyone,
I don't post often but I read this board religiously.  I have been in a bit of a funk lately because I met with the surgeon at St.Joe's hospital in December and had not heard anything about my surgery date...
UNTIL YESTERDAY!  They left a message on my home phone saying that they have a surgery date for me!!!

I called this morning and I am scheduled to have my RNY on April 5, 2013! 
I am thrilled, excited and nervous!

I began this journey with a refferal in October of 2011 and it feels surreal that I am finally at the point of having surgery.  I have made some changes already, stopped with the diet pop, upped the water, began eating breakfast, started logging food but now I will up my game again and begin making sure that I eat protein first. 

I am hoping that you will add me the surgery list Shelley and I am looking for an angel.

I did have one question, I am currently a student and this surgery date lands 5 days before my exams...will I be able to do them 5 days post op? I asked about switching surgery dates with someone who was more towards the middle of April but the woman on the phone said if I change my date, I will wait 3 or more months...is there any way around this?

This is a picture of me with my husband now!  I am hoping to weigh less than him in a few moths time!!

"Nothing is impossible; the word itself says 'I'm possible!"
Audrey Hepburn     
Patm
on 3/1/13 12:45 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Congrats on getting your surgery date. Perhaps if you explained to them about the exams they would put you on a cancelation list for a date after your exams. You are about to have major surgery. At 5 days out I was still pretty tired but I am a lot older than you. Hopefully someone closer to your age will be able to tell you.

My husband is thin like yours and I now weight less than him for the first time ever! It is great

kristaeb
on 3/1/13 12:55 am

Thats great news . Good luck to you..

jellyfishattack
on 3/1/13 4:37 am, edited 3/1/13 4:39 am - Canada
RNY on 03/11/13

Hi Sarah,

Congratulations on getting your date!

I would definitely get your family doctor to write you a short letter, or fill out a form, as I think that's the way they do it now.  There's no way you'll be able to write an exam five days after major surgery.

Honestly, when I was at UT, I had an extreme attack of food poisoning the very night before and the day of an exam, and still felt bad the day after.  All it took was a simple letter from my family doctor and I got to write the exam later.  Your doctor should probably specify how many weeks you will need to recover before you should be writing any exams in his letter, just in case the make up exam is scheduled too soon.

Good luck and don't worry about missing an exam for major surgery!  Don't put your surgery off, they will 110% for sure allow you to write a make up exam later.  Things happen that prevent students from writing exams.  I could have been faking my food poisoning, but I wasn't - but they cannot argue with major surgery.  I would tell your prof and ask him what sort of documentation (probably a simple form for your MD to fill out) you need and to whom you need to give the document.

Jenn.  :)

1st appointment - Feb. 23rd, 2012. RNY Dr Cyriac Mar. 11th, 2013.

(deactivated member)
on 3/1/13 4:38 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 04/04/13

Congrats My Surgery Twin (by one day)

So happy for you and your progress!  If you need anything, I am here...too bad were not both at TWH.

Cuter_w_Curves
on 3/1/13 4:54 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

Sarah contact your school re-arranging your exam scheduling. They will be supportive (you paid to be there... they are supportive).

We shall find you an Angel!

I am not sure who your surgeon is as you didn't say...?

Can you do a quick post in the Angel thread so anyone that see's it will see you are looking?

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

jewel-twin
on 3/1/13 6:03 am - Canada
At 5 days out for ME I could have done a few exams! But you have to consider if you have any complications! Its hard to say if you specifically will be able...can you arrange exams early?

Family Dr. 06/05/2012    Referral Received 06/28/2012 Orientation 08/01/2012   NP 08/27/2012
SW 08/28/2012              Nut Class 08/27/2012
NUT 10/01/2012              PS 10/01/2012
Surgeon Dr. Cyriac 12/07/2012  **SURGERY  JAN 30, 2013**

fooh.png

Dar_Mab
on 3/1/13 6:07 am - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13

Good luck Sarah!  As everyone said start working with the school.. will likely be easier to re-arrnage the exams than your surgery. Let us know how things turn out!

HW: 305   SW: 272  CW: 155  Height: 5'4"

Most Active
Recent Topics