Lactose Intolerance & Protein Powders

EternalEx
on 3/8/13 7:50 am - Canada

After orientation yesterday, I realized that (especially in the first month) I will need to supplement with adding a protein powder to foods. So...

Wondering what are some of the best ones people recommend (ones that won't change texture/flavour too much)?

Also, for those out there that are or became lactose intolerant - what were some choices you made to help get in protein without aggravating symptoms? There seems to be a big stress on milk/dairy products, specifically in the full fluids/pureed stage. I'd like to try some products before my surgery to see what I might like and tolerate. I currently drink Almond Milk, but the sugar content will most likely be too high right after, and I avoid most other dairy.

Thanks all

Norma

nata
on 3/8/13 8:13 am - Ottawa, Canada

Sorry, cannot recommend anything unflavored, that would be good in food, but most of us just make shakes with flavored proteins and drink them. You might find that your taste and tolerance changed postop - it's normal, and the food/shakes you  used to like, might taste horrible. Preop I could eat or drink any protein, and I tried a lot of samplers... postop I just hated all of them, gagged and couldn't get them down, until I found the one and only I could handle - Eggs protein from GMC, chocolate flavor.

For lactose intolerance - I just read the label. Most imported cheeses and yogurts (UK, Germany and Holland) have no lactose in them (0 Carbohydrates). North American ones, on the other hand, always have added lactose (even after bacteria ate all naturally occurring lactose, producers add it for flavor). I drink lactose free milk on a rare occasion, but mostly just add LF cream to coffee. Oh yea, I can eat whipped cream and it doesn't bother be for some reason... I guess I'm not that much intolerant.

Nata, a very happy DSer!
Starting BMI - 62, current BMI - NORMAL!!!!!.

204 pounds lost!!!!
Patm
on 3/8/13 1:15 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Almond milk comes in sugar free or low sugar, I use it all the time. Find a powder that disolves well. there are also soy based protein powders. I did not like them as much. Some places like GNC will take powders back if you do not like them. Unfortunately for most of us it seems to be trial and error to find the ones you like or tolerate.

Good luck with your search.

jellyfishattack
on 3/8/13 11:11 pm - Canada
RNY on 03/11/13

Allmax's protein powders are lactose reduced, and come in Isoflex (flavoured) and Isonatural (unflavoured).  I bought some of the unflavoured stuff at Popeye's because we need it I guess to add to things after surgery, and because I didn't like the taste of the flavoured shakes much.  http://www.popeyescanada.com/

Popeye's is great because they let you sample their protein powders before you buy them.

I think soy protein powders are available for vegetarians or those who are too lactose intolerant to use the lactose reduced powders, but I can't recommend a brand.

Jenn.  :)

1st appointment - Feb. 23rd, 2012. RNY Dr Cyriac Mar. 11th, 2013.

40sMomma
on 3/14/13 4:32 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 08/22/12

lactose free skim milk actually has one of the highest protein counts available.  I don't taste a difference.

40sMomma
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Referral from GP- July/11 Orientation at TWH-Nov 24/11 Nurse appt-Jan 18/12
SW-Jan 18/12 Nutrition Class -Feb1/12 Diet - Feb2/12 Psych - Feb7/12
Surgeon Mtg- June 29/12 PreOp - Aug 4/12 Surgery-Aug 22/12

40sMomma
on 3/14/13 4:34 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 08/22/12

I also use the protein powder in the big black bottle from GNC.  It is isolate, so I tolerate it.  It's also the highest protein/lowest carb available that I've found.  30g per scoop.  I think it's called SuperISO something. 

40sMomma
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Referral from GP- July/11 Orientation at TWH-Nov 24/11 Nurse appt-Jan 18/12
SW-Jan 18/12 Nutrition Class -Feb1/12 Diet - Feb2/12 Psych - Feb7/12
Surgeon Mtg- June 29/12 PreOp - Aug 4/12 Surgery-Aug 22/12

Most Active
Recent Topics