Update- Start of Week Three

Derek C.
on 4/2/13 11:26 am - North Bay , Canada

My wife is into week three at the Credit Valley Eating Disorder Day Patient program and really she is struggling .  While the staff are trying to accommodate building meals based on her bariatric surgery needs , the portion sizes are still way too big for her bariatric pouch. There are many rules when it comes to meal times and she is finding it very tough to adapt to their ways of eating versus our ways of eating .   I don't get many updates but she has been eating most of the time there , which is a positive.  She still feels like she is gaining too much weight but if anything I see a glimpse of success just by getting through scheduled meal times.

Unfortunately last evening was a very tough one after a full day of therapy and her anxiety is through the roof .  She is worriesd about not being able to work and the lack of $$$ coming into our household while she is off with lots of expenses etc .  She wanted to cut but I think I was able to talk her out of it - cant tell cause she is 4 hours away and we only communicate via mobile phone.

While she is struggling - so am I - im finding it very hard to be so far away and feeling very helpless .  When she went into the program she was told she would be there for approx. 3 months , but when I received her medical note for her employer it said 5-6 months .  That was very tough . Additionally ive fallen off the healthy eating wagon and have gained approx 6 pounds in the past 5 weeks . 

I am going to partake in a caregiver training weekend to try and learn more about what I can do  to assist her and i really need to get back into a positive routine for myself as well .  Im going to go back to liquids and protein shakes for the next couple fo days to try and kill the carb issues . 

Anyways thats my update - i thank all of you who have responded to my posts and who have PM'd me their well wishes - you have absolutely no idea what they mean to me in our battle that we are waging here .

Surgery Date - AUGUST 22, 2011 - Ran first 5KM Race - Oct 14, 2012 (28 min)  - Currently maintaining a healthy 190 lbs and training for my first half marathon in the summer of 2013

birdiegirl
on 4/2/13 11:57 am

Hang in there Derek...this is so difficult for both of you......please remember that you will do neither of you any good if you return to stress eating and gain weight.....which will cause you more stress

I sure hope things improve for you and your wife soon

Barb

Dar_Mab
on 4/2/13 12:11 pm - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13

Wow!  You and your wife have a lot on your shoulders.   Sounds like she is in the program she needs to be in. Glad you talked her into staying.   It will be a tough journey but both of you will be better off if  she completes the required program and you take good care of yourself.  You will need it to keep your strength up. You sound so supportive of your wife.  All the best. Thanks for updating us.   Stay in touch

HW: 305   SW: 272  CW: 155  Height: 5'4"

JJ_
on 4/2/13 2:41 pm

Sending prayers your way.

Judy

Joanne D.
on 4/2/13 11:21 pm - Canada

Good morning, Derek

I am  sorry to hear you have so much on your plate!

Many positive thoughts being sent your way!

Joanne

referral from GP July 2012     Orientation October 2012  SW initial Dec 2012   Nurse Prac. Dec 2012   Nutrition Initial Jan 2012  Nutrition Jan 2012      Psycho social Jan 2013    Meeting with Surgeon Feb 22 2013     Surgery May 2nd ( Dr. Jackson TWH)

Most Active
Recent Topics