Get my fat ass off the couch!!!

Alice-58_.
on 4/2/13 2:23 pm
VSG on 02/26/13

So I am 5 weeks post op today Gastric Sleeve Dr Jules/Guelph. Saw him today for my 1st post op visit. I have lost 10 pounds in 5 weeks (lost 20 on Optifast prior to surgery). I know he was disappointed and frankly I too have been disappointed with the weight loss. I have been following the diet instructions religiously....600-800 cal daily with at least 60 g protein. The weight should be falling off faster in my mind.  Of course the conversation got around to exercise which I hate but he very kindly told me that I needed to get my ass moving. He said that in 2 years my pouch will be as big as it was before but all the education I have received from the "team" will help me not  gain back weight because, by that time, it will be embedded in my brain.The healthy eating habits and small meal portions frequently  will just come naturally. So, I knew it all along. I read it on this site every day. I just needed a slap on the head. I need to get my fat ass off the couch. So I hit the gravel when I got home and will do it again every day this week and next. A work in progress. March on!

Live near Bayfield. Referral June 2011 to Windsor Bariatric Referral Center. July asked to be transferred to Guelph as closer but file got lost..  Orientation Nov 2011, Guelph. Nurse,Nut and SW X3 mid 2012. Surgeon Dec 2012. VGS Surgery Feb 26 2013 Dr Jules Guelph

ovalspice
on 4/2/13 3:33 pm - Toronto, Canada

Good for you Alice!! I know how you feel......exercise is the bain of my existence lol. But I hear its good for us! lol.

Keep on, keepin' on and we'll both get there.

Cheers,

Andrea

Highest weight: 428lbs Dec/12: RNY surgery at HRRH March 18/13. Current Weight: 315lbs

Anna1963
on 4/2/13 7:07 pm - Meaford, Canada
RNY on 02/16/12

Wtg on  the get going.  It does get easier and just keep moving.  I do power walking everywhere i go and not many people can keep up to me.  It does feel great and it does keep you going. 

Anna

(deactivated member)
on 4/2/13 8:06 pm - Straford, Canada

Keep 'er movin'!  

Onward and
Downward

on 4/2/13 8:31 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

I've never heard that our pouches will be as big as our previous stomachs in two years.  I've heard that our pouches do stretch a bit, but not that much, unless we really fall off the wagon for a long time and refuse to follow the rules completely.

That said, good for you for your renewed commitment!  Very nice.

Just one little thing...please don't take this as criticism, it's just a suggestion: you might want to watch the negative self-talk.  Everyone's different, so perhaps that is motivating for you, but I know that for me, self-talk about "my fat ass", even as a joke, makes me feel bad about myself, and is a huge de-motivator.  I called myself all sorts of names as I was eating my way up to 336 lbs before surgery, and it just made me feel worse and eat more and move less.

I hate "formal exercising" too.  Lots of people join running programs, gyms, etc.  Not me - I don't like running and only do it when I'm about to miss the bus. :)  When I join gyms, my wallet gets thinner but I don't darken the doorstep.

What I love?  Is walking.  Walking is awesome for us couch-potato types.  I found after surgery that I could only walk for about 10 minutes at first (just around a small block) and slowly at that, several times a day - but the time for each walk quickly increased and I got a lot more stamina.  Now I can walk easily for a long, long time without getting tired.  It's a great form of exercise - not too hard on the knees (although there is some impact) and I find I can add it into my regular routine by getting off the bus a few stops early, etc.

Best of luck!

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Arlio1207
on 4/2/13 9:18 pm - Belleville , Canada
RNY on 04/04/13

I think maybe the sleeve might, not sure about rny. I am no expert so don't quote me on that !!! LOL

Arlene enlightened

Referred June 26, 2012, Orientation Nov 7, Nurse Nov 19. Dietician and Psychologist Nov 21, Dietician #2 Jan 4, 2013, Final Nurse Jan 24, Meet surgeon Feb 20th, Pre Surgical class Mar 6th, Dr Glazier March 7, PATTS March 7, Surgery April 4th !!!!!

Onward and
Downward

on 4/2/13 11:06 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Oh, whoops!  I missed that she had a sleeve and not RNY!  Sorry. :)

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Dar_Mab
on 4/2/13 8:34 pm - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13

Good job Alice!      Keep things moving!  It is hard...... but once we do it daily, it becomes easier.  I am 4 weeks post op this Friday and see Dr. Jules next Monday for my post op visit.     I started out doing several 15 minute stints on the treadmill in a day.  then it became two 30 minute stints.    Now I am up to 1 hour a day doing 2 miles.     It helps to put on a good tv show or movie to distract you while doing your work out.

I am looking forward to having some weather where it is double digit so I can take my workout outside.    This raining, snowing, minus something every day is driving me nuts!    

Keep following the plan and the weight will come off!    Our surgeons and centres know what they are talking about.    I have to have faith in that or what was the point?

Look forward to your future posts!

HW: 305   SW: 272  CW: 155  Height: 5'4"

Nanato2
on 4/2/13 10:02 pm, edited 4/2/13 11:11 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

HI Alice

I have also had a VSG and I am 7 weeks post op and want to give you some tips I have been finding that for me connecting with other VSGers has been very helpful because as VSGers we do not go through some of the same things people who have had RNY do. Yes we all have the same goals and plans are the same. 

First off VSGers do not have a pouch we still have our stomach and your doctor seems a little harsh, as for getting your ass of the couch I am just starting to do exercise I have started swimming, I have been walking but was tiring very easy but I have kept up and now can walk a few blocks no problem.

Now as for eating make sure you are eating between 600 - 800 calories a day and aim to get all your protein in 60g of protein is low it should be higher plus getting in all your water/fluids. The main thing to help you lose weight at this time is water and your protein try to stay away from those nasty bad carbs also you should be eating approx. 1/4 -1/2 cup of food at this time 3 meals a day and three snacks.

And yes everyone's stomach (VSG) and pouches (RNY) can stretch eventually not to say in two years if we do not stick to a healthy eating plan and start to eat to much.

If you need to talk PM me I would be glad to talk to you. My daughter Pinkjellybean had a VSG 15months ago and lost 230lbs in that time so yes you can be successful.

Do not get down on yourself you can do this.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

solongtubby
on 4/3/13 12:01 am

this is why I keep coming back to this site... the folks here are awesome.  I love the support and kindness and even a little criticism applied  in a very gentle and non-accusing way.  Yes, these people are fantastic!!! 

You hang in there, Alice.  I've had both my knees replaced so I don't walk very much but I do get in the pool and swim laps 3 or 4 mornings a week before work.  It's such a great feeling to start off the day by doing something so beneficial for your body and your soul.   We're with you, girl.

Nora

Nora

RNY with Dr. Huynh June 5, 2013.

Most Active
Recent Topics