Day 3 Post-OP - Back Home

Laurie2013
on 4/25/13 7:57 am - Canada
RNY on 04/22/13

Just a little update..I had my surgery Monday and everything went well but since then I have been in excruciating pain on the one incision on the left....They sent me home with Dilaudid but all its good at doing is putting me to sleep for about an hour then I'm up in pain again! Is this normal to be in that much pain? I mean I"ve had 2 C-sections and my gallbladder removed and this does not even compare to the pain i'm feeling....

I seem to be getting all my vitamins down except my Iron...I bought the Fer de Sol liquid Iron and I took it this morning and it made me sick....Does anyone know if I can just take regular Iron pills and squish them instead of taking the liquid?

I also keep coughing constantly like I have phlegm in my chest which I did not have before surgery? Is this normal??? Sorry for all the questions...

Referral -11/22/2011 , Orientation - 1/26/2012,  NUT, RN, SW - 3/23/2012 , Met Dr. Mamazza - 2/26/2013, Start Opti - 4/1/2013, PATTS - 4/17/213, Surgery - 4/22/2013

Lorieliz
on 4/25/13 8:21 am - Canada

Sorry about the pain, but when you think about it, they screw around a lot in there.

The cough is normal (and unfortunate), just a little irritation from the intubation. They say to hold a pillow in your lap and press it against your tummy when you cough - it worked for me when I had the C=section.

Hang in there!

Referral St. Joe's, Hamilton - Surgery May 28, 013 

Monica M.
on 4/25/13 10:55 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

lol @ screw around a lot in there... oh em gee.. imma use that next time someone asks me about the pain!! you're freaking hilarious!!!

(deactivated member)
on 4/25/13 8:26 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 04/04/13

I am 3 weeks post op and I have excruciating pain for about 8 days in one incision....thats usually the one they do all the work out of...keep hydrated, and each day will get better and better....by day 8 i was off all meds!

KarenHope
on 4/25/13 9:00 am
RNY on 04/15/13

HI Laurie,

I thought about you all day Monday. Wondered how you were. I had all the same issues. Are you taking Tylenol too?

I was told to take 1000 mg crushed Tylenol every 6 hours. I filled the Dilaudid script but did not need it. We are all different though.

You may want to check with the dietitian or the Nurse practitioner about the iron. Doctor Porte told me to hold off with the Iron and the dietitian suggested I start it one week post op. I was able to tolerate it then. I chase it with 1 oz of grape juice, also approved by the dietician. (The laxative effect of grape juice can help offset the constipating effect of the iron and the vitamin c helps the iron be absorbed)

I actually lost my voice from the breathing tube. I bought some black cherry Halls to keep my throat moist. They are sugar free. And as Glen said, hold a pillow over your belly when you cough. It helps.

You are welcome to PM me if you would like. I sent you a friend requiest

Karen

Referral Oct '11 Orientation Ottawa Dec 9 '11 NP June 25 '12 Sleep Clinic July 27 '12 

Tr to Kingston Aug '12  NP/SW/Nut Oct 1 '12 Pre-Op class - Dec 12 '12 Surgeon  Mar 4 '13    Surgery Apr 15 '13     

HW 304 CW 175 GOAL 150  

Laurie2013
on 4/25/13 11:28 pm - Canada
RNY on 04/22/13

Thank everyone for the replies! Karen I was thinking about you too!!! Thanks for the Tylenol tip I have now been alternating the dilaudid and tylenol still doesn't seem to be helping and i'm not sleeping argh!!! I can't lie down I can only sit up so been falling alseep sitting up since i'm home!!  Dr. Porte! what a cutie pie eh? heheheh he was super nice! So where the nurses I did not have Nurse Rachett lol luckily I had 2 of the most amazing nurses Lindsay and Heather! Hope your recovery is going well!!!! :)

Referral -11/22/2011 , Orientation - 1/26/2012,  NUT, RN, SW - 3/23/2012 , Met Dr. Mamazza - 2/26/2013, Start Opti - 4/1/2013, PATTS - 4/17/213, Surgery - 4/22/2013

muchmore2
on 4/26/13 8:54 pm

Yes I agree with Sparky....I had the EXACT same pain in the same area and it lasted at least 4 weeks....when I called the Centre they told me that it was normal..and as long as I wasn't having blood in the stool or urine...I was getting fluids in and keeping them down, not to worry...!! TRUST ME, it gets better :) 

Taking Back MY Life

Most Active
Recent Topics