Apena. I hope that is how it is spelled.

ReadyToLiveLisa
on 4/29/13 11:59 am - Hamilton, Canada
RNY on 08/02/13

I was at my cousins wedding this weekend, and shared a hotel room with my sister. Lets just say we both knew we wouldn't be able to drive home! my legs are still killing me!

My questions is, Is that I did not have to have a sleep test done, as after orientation I asked my family to monitor my breathing, as they sleep when I am up, and I sleep when they are up.

Anyways point of the story, is...is that my sister says that it was pretty bad, Does alcohol at all effect apena? I do not require a machine, but I do know that when I a nervous about something it seems to make act up? what happens if I stop breathing during my operation with the apena? I just don't want the doctors to get mad or not do the surgery because it is get irrated with I am nervous/stressed.

Has anyone been through or have the same thing going on?

Any help would be apperciated! Thank you :)

~RTLL

Referral:April 4th, 2012.Letter Received for Orientation:June 4th, 2012.Orientation: Sept. 24th, 2012. Blood Work: Dec 14th, 2012. Dietician: January 30th, 2013. ECG Done: January 30th, 2013 Gastroscopy: Feb. 5th, 2013. Social Worker: Feb. 8th, 2013(Canceled, due to snow storm). Abdominal Ultrasound: Feb. 12th, 2013. Surgeons Appt. Feb. 20th, 2013. Social Worker(Rescheduled): Feb. 25th, 2013. Internist: March 4th, 2013. Meet the Surgeon: March 12th, 2013.No Sleep Test Needed. Opti Started: July 16 - 30, 2013.Nutrition Class: July 18th, 2013. PATTS: July 19th, 2013 Surgery: August 2nd, 2013.

mermaidz
on 4/29/13 12:05 pm - Brampton, Canada

That's such a cute way of spelling it ... I'm gonna lie and say "Yes that is how you spell Apnea".

If the Docs want you to have a sleep study done, they'll order one. They won't just take your families word for it (but I would

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

(deactivated member)
on 4/29/13 12:16 pm

I would for sure talk to your doctor about a sleep study. Sleep Apnea is a very serious sleeping disorder. I honestly do not believe that you being nervous about something makes it act up because when you are sleeping your body is at rest... well it is suppose to be but if you are having issues while sleeping You stop breathing ect ... it can be fatal if not treated. Not trying to scare you but I suffer from it and since I got my CPAP machine I am so much healthier in that respect. There is nothing to be ashamed of if you need a CPAP machine. Get a test done... it wont hurt... better safe than sorry. 

Needanewbeginning
on 4/29/13 1:44 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Honestly, you should get checked. I have sleep apnea but didn't know I did, until one morning not too long ago, I woke up sat up and gasped and fell out of bed and died, yes died. I was gone for 25 minutes. Long story short, sleep apnea left untreated can kill.

If there is any doubt, please speak with your Dr. Cardiac arrest can be brought on by sleep apnea, I never ever would have known unless it happened to me.

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Khedgehog
on 4/29/13 3:47 pm, edited 4/29/13 3:47 pm

I'm not sure whether it's affected by stress or not, but I'm going with "probably" since stress can do so much harm in so many different ways. Alcohol does indeed affect it.

What happens if you stop breathing during your operation? When you have anaesthesia you stop breathing, they put you on a ventilator, a machine that does your breathing for you via a tube in your mouth.
If you do have sleep apnea they will likely want you to bring your own CPAP machine to the hospital for recovery.

Edited to clarify - every time you have anaesthesia you are unable to breathe on your own so they have to put you on a ventilator. It has to do with the medications they give you temporarily paralyzing your muscles.

Approved for DS in Ontario! Waiting for a date!

spicy_cyn
on 4/30/13 12:04 am - Welland, Canada
A week and a Half ago I went to my gp for another issue and asked for a sleep study as I know I snore. This was also asked so I would have it done if needed for surgery. Last Wednesday at 11 am the call came telling me to come in that night. I did not sleep well but the test showed that I stopped breathing over 100 times an hour. The sleep center called the next afternoon to come in asap. I go get my cpap tomorrow. I have had very little sleep since then. Scared to sleep. When I do sleep I wake up with the feeling of dread.
ReadyToLiveLisa
on 4/30/13 6:40 am - Hamilton, Canada
RNY on 08/02/13

I do snore too, I kinda of recorded myself last night and just finished listening to it....I did not stop breathing only snored...alot.

But I think I am still going to air on the side of caution and ask for a sleep test just to be sure.

Thank you all for the advice. :)

~RTLL

Referral:April 4th, 2012.Letter Received for Orientation:June 4th, 2012.Orientation: Sept. 24th, 2012. Blood Work: Dec 14th, 2012. Dietician: January 30th, 2013. ECG Done: January 30th, 2013 Gastroscopy: Feb. 5th, 2013. Social Worker: Feb. 8th, 2013(Canceled, due to snow storm). Abdominal Ultrasound: Feb. 12th, 2013. Surgeons Appt. Feb. 20th, 2013. Social Worker(Rescheduled): Feb. 25th, 2013. Internist: March 4th, 2013. Meet the Surgeon: March 12th, 2013.No Sleep Test Needed. Opti Started: July 16 - 30, 2013.Nutrition Class: July 18th, 2013. PATTS: July 19th, 2013 Surgery: August 2nd, 2013.

Most Active
Recent Topics