tired of waiting

spicy_cyn
on 5/22/13 11:46 pm - Welland, Canada
I knew when I asked the family doctor that getting from reference to surgery would take a long time. Right now I am feeling discouraged. My referral was sent in April 2012. My orientation took place March 11/13. I had to go on a hospital streacher as I had broken my ankle the week before. I called St. Joes a month later as I did not hear back yet. One week later I spoke with the social worker over the telephone. That went well. The next week my first appointment with the dietitian and psychologist letter were sent, but I don't see them until September 13/13. The family doctor sent me for the blood work and told me that they are booking the ultrasound. I call every 3 days asking when my apt. is and am told that they have not heard back yet. I hate being a whiner, but am so discouraged. I am so happy for everyone's success here on getting their dates, nsv and body changes. I just wi**** was me.
Catw
on 5/23/13 12:31 am - Arnprior, Canada

Hi Spicy,

I know how you feel, it seems to be forever a "hurry up and wait" situation.  Some appointments can be done early, some can't.  Keep on trucking, you'll get there.  I know that Ottawa doesn't have cancelation lists for the center, but perhaps calling your center once a week can get your dietitian and psych appointments earlier.  They may get people canceling over the summer.

For me, it took about 18 months, and that was before the increase in numbers going for surgery.  It's a long journey, take the time to do your research and be ready.

Cathy

kayakgirl
on 5/23/13 6:09 am - Canada
On May 23, 2013 at 7:31 AM Pacific Time, Catw wrote:

Hi Spicy,

I know how you feel, it seems to be forever a "hurry up and wait" situation.  Some appointments can be done early, some can't.  Keep on trucking, you'll get there.  I know that Ottawa doesn't have cancelation lists for the center, but perhaps calling your center once a week can get your dietitian and psych appointments earlier.  They may get people canceling over the summer.

For me, it took about 18 months, and that was before the increase in numbers going for surgery.  It's a long journey, take the time to do your research and be ready.

Cathy

What do you mean by "Ottawa doesn't get cancellation lists" ? Curious...

Initial referral: March 21, 2013; Orientation: April 26, 2013 (OWMC); Nurse Practitioner: July 10, 2013; Nut/Beh: July 15, 2013; Pre-op Class: September 18, 2013; Internist: September 18, 2013; Surgeon: October 1, 2013; Surgery: November 25, 2013 (Dr. Yelle)

Catw
on 5/23/13 7:59 am - Arnprior, Canada

Unless they've changed, the Ottawa Clinic doesn't keep a Cancelation list, where you put your name on and are called if someone cancels for an appointment.  Some of the other clinics in Ottawa do have them (i.e sleep lab).

Cathy

kayakgirl
on 5/23/13 10:28 am - Canada
On May 23, 2013 at 2:59 PM Pacific Time, Catw wrote:

Unless they've changed, the Ottawa Clinic doesn't keep a Cancelation list, where you put your name on and are called if someone cancels for an appointment.  Some of the other clinics in Ottawa do have them (i.e sleep lab).

Cathy

Well, that's annoying. I know some people call Lana in hopes of moving up dates. I wonder if that works?

Initial referral: March 21, 2013; Orientation: April 26, 2013 (OWMC); Nurse Practitioner: July 10, 2013; Nut/Beh: July 15, 2013; Pre-op Class: September 18, 2013; Internist: September 18, 2013; Surgeon: October 1, 2013; Surgery: November 25, 2013 (Dr. Yelle)

Catw
on 5/23/13 11:54 am - Arnprior, Canada

Lana might be able to help move up dates, but she won't be able to call you if something comes up.

kristaeb
on 5/23/13 1:12 am

I am sorry to hear about your long wait.. I would say just keep calling and be your own advocate. I on the other hand feel bad when i see so many of you waiting such a long time for even tests to be done.. I dont know why some clinics are quicker than others. I see it on here all the time. Just keep plugging away hun. Try and stay positive. It will happen. It is a long process for some... Please keep us posted .. Wishing you well Krista........

Refered Jan 15/13..Surgery June 27/13 , Dr Hagan.

(deactivated member)
on 5/23/13 1:24 am

I don't think you are a whiner but just frustrated as many of us have been at some point during this process. Centers vary and even the timelines at the same center can vary significantly from patient to patient. The best thing you can do is begin making some changes on your own if you haven't already and document them. Research and then research some more. The more prepared you are during your initial appointments....the quicker you will get to your goal of surgery. Best wishes.

Christine B.
on 5/23/13 3:06 am - Canada
Dont be discouraged. I know it must be hard to see posts of people flying thru to their surgery. I think it has a lot to do with drs surgery amounts and how much surgery time they have. Have u spoken to anyone in ur area, find out what the average wait time is? I would. Then keep doing what ur doing, keep calling. As they say squeeky wheel gets the oil. I never waited for a letter or them to call. I called them. I think u have been more than patient and i dont blame u for feeling discouraged but keep ur chin up. It will happen. Talk to people and get info! Find out if this is normal. Take care
Tammy B.
on 5/23/13 4:58 am - Canada

I was refered july 2011....all the appointments seemed to take forever....now i need to get my sugar down to 7.5.....it does seem like a long process...im hoping im near the end.  Dont give up!!

Most Active
Recent Topics