Stomach Flu- Required info from Vets

Vanessa D.
on 5/27/13 1:49 am
VSG on 04/18/12

This is the second bout of stomach flu my kids have brought home within a month. And i, of course, have had 2 bouts of it. Now the first time my stomach really hurt and i figured must be the food i had eaten before being sick. This time, my stomach hurt like crazy before i was sick but i had not eaten anything. It felt as bad as the pain felt when i had gallstones. I am wondering if anyone has had stomach flu since their surgery and if this is normal having this much pain with it.

Anna1963
on 5/27/13 9:49 am - Meaford, Canada
RNY on 02/16/12

I am sorry you are going through the flu again i did have it once after surgery and do not ever want it again.  I had my gall bladder out in 1988 and still to this day get gall stones and they still hurt very much.  You may still have gall stones and i hope u get it checked out and get some answers for it.  I really hope you get feeling better soon and hoping your kids do not get it again and bring it home to you.

Tc.

Anna

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/13 11:11 am

pardon my ignorance , but i didn't know it was possible to get gallstones when you don't have a gallbladder (sorry if that was really dumb).

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/13 11:27 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

They can form in the bile duct and are as painful as when you had your gallbladder.

Vanessa D.
on 5/27/13 8:55 pm
VSG on 04/18/12

I know i can still have stones, i have had them after my surgery. However this was not a stone but pain in my stomach area that felt the same as stones feel. It was horrible and i am wondering if it's normal as it's happened both times i had the stomach flu.

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/13 9:00 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I see you had VSG, did your surgeon put you on a PPI?  In Ontario, they put people on Prevacid Fast Tabs usually.  Your VSG stomach will create a lot of acid so that could feel like a stomach bug if you aren't on some form of PPI. 

Vanessa D.
on 5/27/13 10:15 pm
VSG on 04/18/12

I have been using a PPI. However, this was a stomach flu. My son had it, my husband had it and it lasted only 24 hours for all of us. I am just worried about the pain felt prior to my vomitting and if this is normal.

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/13 10:32 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

GI bugs can come with a lot of pain. You have a fully functioning stomach and if the pain is gone then it was likely just from the bug.  With my band, I have a fully functioning stomach as well and have had a few stomach viruses over the years and the pain is never the same with them so I think it's normal to have varying degrees of pain from bug to bug.

Most Active
Recent Topics