New Study on WLS on Moms & future Moms who are obese

Northernlightsmom
on 5/27/13 10:36 pm, edited 5/28/13 1:32 am - Canada

Hi....

I came across this study of obese moms and moms to be in the future.....

It highlights the effects of WLS on has on our children but more so on children we may have following the surgery. I already have my three but it is still shown to be a positive influence on them but more interestingly changes how the genes of children born to obese mom behaves following surgery. As a mother, I have worried that having this surgery may appear to them as having given up which is far from the truth. This study helps me confirm that this is not the case and will lead them to a healthier and happier lifestyle. I already knew that but this supports that too.

Here is the link....... http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2013/05/27/obesity-surgery-gene-behaviour.html

Check it out.....

Tara :)

RNY Surgery February 10th, 2014

Needanewbeginning
on 5/28/13 3:40 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Yes great article. It's amazing what they can figure out, see our weight is not all about lack of willpower, genetics etc so many things play a part in us.

Thanks for sharing this.

Annette

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Northernlightsmom
on 5/28/13 5:02 am - Canada

It is so true....we still probably don't know half of what contributes to our obesity aside from the obvious. It is kind of shocking though to think how our weight affects the genes of our children.

Tara

Megan M.
on 5/28/13 7:05 am - Canada

I tried to post this link this morning, but for some reason my ipad wouldn't type!  It's working now,but I am glad you were able to post it.

Had RNY surgery July 22/11, St. Joe's Hamilton, with the awesome Dr. Scott Gmora.  Had abdominoplasty August 2/13, Scarborough, with equally awesome Dr. Michael Kreidstein.

gwynnkitty
on 5/28/13 9:43 am - North York, Canada

I find this REALLY interesting. 

My oldest son was born before my previous WLS. He's what you'd call "chunky". My youngest (10 today! :) ) was born after I'd lost 125lbs. He's thin as a rail - in fact, we have a hard time getting him to gain weight. 

Coincidence? Maybe. But interesting.

Referral to Surgeon: February 12, 2013 Appointment with Surgeon: April 24, 2013 Endoscopy: April 30, 2013 Referral sent to Bariatric Registry: May 2, 2013 Orientation Appointment: May 27, 2013 Dr Klein Appointment: June 6, 2013 Second Upper GI Series: June 11 Dr Glazer: August 12, 2013 RN/RD/SW: August 29. 2013 Follow-up With Dr Klein: September 23, 2013 Start Opti: October 23, 2013 Surgery Date: November 14, 2013 

Northernlightsmom
on 5/28/13 11:47 am - Canada

It is so interesting...I really wish I had this surgery years ago but at least my children will benefit from here on out.

This study may convince some who have yet to have surgery not wait until after they have children.

Hopefully they will continue to investigate this and provide more support to women (and men) who choose this procedure.

Tara

Most Active
Recent Topics