Blood pressure readings

EternalEx
on 6/4/13 7:37 am - Canada
Is anyone else having difficulty getting accurate readings on hospital/clinic equipment, specifically at HRRH?

Everytime they check, i'm registering very high. Today, for example, was 177/100 at one point. Yesterday, at my GP's office I was 105/80. I do have hypertension. I take a very low dose water pill as treatment and was placed on that several years ago after a couple 140/90 readings - nothing even close to what they are getting at HRRH.

I asked the RN on both occasions to check the machine and cuff. The clinic said they didn't have a bigger cuff. Today, the RN again refused to get a bigger cuff, saying they use that partical one for all patients (a regular adult one). She couldn't use it on my upper arm, and it left my forearm red and in pain.

I'm a little worried that on surgery day they will do the same thing and get an incorrect reading. I'll end up on recovery forever!

Starting to wonder if i'm losing my mind or if this is an equipment issue? Anyone else reading high?
(deactivated member)
on 6/4/13 8:25 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Taking your BP with a regular cuff when you have large arms is a waste of their time and never accurate.  I would be *****ing to the head of the program.  It's a bariatric clinic and they should have items for needs of obese people including the large BP cuff.  Even my GP has both so don't understand why a bariatric clinic would not have both of them.

Needanewbeginning
on 6/4/13 8:26 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Lol, nope their equipment sucks. They don't have cuffs large enough or that stay on so most of my readings were done by wrist, very inaccurate. Told Glazer that's one thing they need to improve ASAP, he sad cutbacks....

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

EternalEx
on 6/4/13 8:51 am - Canada
Cutbacks? Geez, what does a cuff cost? Like $20?? Lol

I just think it's so stupid. The RN today wouldn't even listen to me. They don't get it at all. I've never had problems at other hospitals - yet, HRRH is a bariatric centre of excellence and they can't do a proper bp measurement? She told me i have to follow up with my GP and Dr glazer - i told her both of them are going to tell her to get a new cuff! I'm not wasting my time when they can't bother with proper equipment. Aargh!
(deactivated member)
on 6/4/13 9:12 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12

During my whole time in the hospital at HRRH they took my pressure on the forearm with a regular cuff. Go Figure!

Needanewbeginning
on 6/4/13 10:27 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Yes me too, and I always had issues with my pressure but that was mostly because they weren't giving me my regular meds post op, but that's a whole other issue, lol. HRRH must get proper cuffs, its ridiculous that they don't have them, totally ridiculous.

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

P_Floyd
on 6/4/13 2:27 pm - Canada

I've had a surgery at HRRH, not my gastric bypass though, and I have to say there is little I like about the place. The surgeon was a egotistical jerk, the staff were scrub amateurs with little to no people skills and I have to have a second surgery to finish what they started. The surgeon didn't bother to tell me he decided to make it a two step procedure until a month after during what was supposed to be a follow up. 

There are a lot of things they don't tell you about surgery and not knowing, you don't ask. Others may have had a much different experience than I did, but I won't set foot in that place again as long as I am able say no. 

Any hospital that does bariatric procedures and doesn't have a large size cuff, is phoning it in. You should consider this when you're putting your life and your health in their hands.

Long you live and high you fly 
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry 
And all you touch and all you see 
Is all your life will ever be.

DSOTM

renau2e
on 6/4/13 9:58 pm - Canada
RNY on 05/07/13
Yep!!! My BP haf to be taken no less than 5-10 times each visit because it would 'error' or be way high. I actually got all bruised up on my arm because the cuffs were so small and they held them on with their hands so they wouldn't burst off. And then I'd start getting nervous about it being high which only made my BP higher. lol
I have never had issues with high blood pressure until HRRH. They told me to see my GP to see if I need meds .... I go to my doctor and he says my BP is perfect 119/79
They definitely need new equiptment or at thr very least, bigger/better cuffs!

Referral sent-  Feb. 4, 2013   Referral received-  Feb. 14, 2013  Orientation- (HRRH)- Mar. 7, 2013   Sleep study-  Mar. 9, 2013   Meet Surgeon (Dr. Klein)-  March 21, 2013   SW/RD/RN- Mar. 26, 2013  Dr. Glazer-  Apr. 3, 2013 Surgeon Appt. (book surgery and pick up Opti)- Apr. 16, 2013  Start Opti- Apr. 17, 2013 PATTApr. 25, 2013   Surgery!!! May 7, 2013

Highest Weight- 345 lbs   Post-Opti/Surgery Weight ????    Goal Weight- 165 lbs

EternalEx
on 6/5/13 1:15 am - Canada
I sent an email to HRRH's patient representative and the Bariatric program manager last night about this issue. No response yet.
Most Active
Recent Topics