Considering VSG, have yet to talk to doctor; hubby scared

reliena
on 5/30/13 11:32 pm - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 05/06/14

Hello all!

I've been reading so many of your posts and gaining so much insight and encouragement. Glad to know there are so many people locally.

I've been overweight since I was a child, with the exception of a two-year period when I had active Crohn's disease (chronic inflammation of the gastric tract) and became too thin. However, as soon as I had some surgery for that and could eat whatever I wanted again, the weight crept all the way back almost to where I started pre-Crohn's (325 then, 303 at my highest in 2010).

I have had mild yo-yo'ing success with a combo of Weigh****chers and intense 3-4 times per week strength training and cardio. I initially lost 50lbs that way, but that has gone back up then down then up again. Currently about 275 (afraid to weigh myself).

I haven't looked into WLS in many years, probably 7, because it wasn't done much by OHIP and I had never heard of VSG. From what I knew, I was not a good candidate for WLS because of my Crohn's, even though it was in remission. But it sounds like VSG is a really good option for that, as there is no bypassing of the intestines.

Now, I would like to go talk to my doctor and get a referral. I have a semi-private GP (the kindness of a sibling who has a great plan) who would likely be able to expedite the process, so, who knows, maybe I could be having this surgery in 3-6 months if I'm lucky. 

Does anyone else have experience with getting VSG in Toronto/Ontario? From the surgery list it looks like the least common type. 

Now, the last thing is that I brought up my new discovery with my partner of six years, and he is really not positive about it, out of the gate. I think he is mostly worried about the dangers of surgery, but I keep telling him - what about the dangers of remaining obese? It's hard for him to get it, he'd like me to be healthy, but I've been like this since we got together. He's naturally slim and has a lightning metabolism. I know this because he eats about the same as me, and continues to wear mediums and 32waist! I understand his concern over the risks, but I'm not sure how I'll be able to convince him this could be the best option for long term success. I think he also feels that I could lose all the weight myself if I just tried harder, because I have managed to lose some weight. I'm sorry, but at this point I feel like the people who lose 100+ lbs through dieting and exercise alone must have a different personality profile than me. Ugh.

So, lot's to say, lot's of questions... really looking forward to hearing from you guys! :) Thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/13 11:42 pm
  I think you should contact your Doc...and get the ball rolling.  You don't have to commit yet but go to the Orientation and see if it is right for you.  Really until you sign on the dotted line with the surgeon you still have time to think things through.  Sounds like the process is a lot quicker in Toronto too!     I really regret not pushing and pushing my original family Doc in year 2000 to find out more, but he just brushed me off, as did the next Doc, finally my 3rd Family Doc believed in the surgery and registered me!   All the best in your journey!    
reliena
on 5/30/13 11:46 pm - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 05/06/14

I may be a tad optimistic! We shall see. You have had a particularly long wait, it seems. I really hope you get your surgery date soon!

Thanks for replying :)

pinkjellybean
on 5/30/13 11:46 pm - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12

Hello and welcome to the board!

I had the VSG surgery 16 months ago and it was very successful for me! My VSG surgery was performed at Toronto Western Hospital by the fabulous Dr. Todd Penner!  I have lost 270 pounds from my highest weight!

You may want to PM or private message my mother who is also on this board (Nanato2) as she was approved for the VSG based on her Crohn's Disease!  Her surgery was also performed at Toronto Western Hospital by Dr. Timothy Jackson.

SURGERY at Toronto Western Hospital - VSG JANUARY 25th, 2012!!

5'9 - HW - 390 SW - 368.8  GW - 150

reliena
on 5/30/13 11:49 pm - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 05/06/14

Thanks so much for replying! That is a terrific result. Wow. 

I will definitely PM your mom! Specific advice re: Crohn's would go a ways to alleviate my nervous guy's worries about that aspect. 

reliena
on 5/30/13 11:50 pm - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 05/06/14

Oh, do you mind me asking what your wait time was like from referral to surgery? Thanks.

pinkjellybean
on 5/31/13 12:06 am - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12
On May 31, 2013 at 6:50 AM Pacific Time, reliena wrote:

Oh, do you mind me asking what your wait time was like from referral to surgery? Thanks.

I waited 11 months from referral to surgery day.  Good Luck!

SURGERY at Toronto Western Hospital - VSG JANUARY 25th, 2012!!

5'9 - HW - 390 SW - 368.8  GW - 150

reliena
on 5/31/13 12:08 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 05/06/14

Thanks!

Nanato2
on 5/31/13 12:24 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Hello Reliena

Welcome to the board.

I have crohns disease and had a VSG in Feb. 2013 and have currently lost 80 pounds and feeling great. With us having crohns disease the best surgery for us is a VSG.

I also see that my daughter PJB has asked you to PM so send me a PM and we can discuss.

Lynn

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

reliena
on 5/31/13 12:29 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 05/06/14

Thanks Lynn! I sent you a PM earlier, I hope it gets through to you :)

Most Active
Recent Topics