Asking my GP for a referral tomorrow

reliena
on 6/4/13 10:25 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 05/06/14

Hi all,

Still loving reading everyone's updates and questions and well, everything. I am so so so happy I stumbled upon this website. I can't imagine embarking on this journey without the information I've got so far from you fine folks.

So, I was supposed to see my GP Thursday, but she had to rearrange and miraculously, I am seeing her sooner rather than later! I will also be meeting with my nurse practitioner to talk about my hopes for a VSG.

I am planning on bringing information about the Bariatric Registry and the types of tests a lot of people are doing in prep for surgery. I don't know if it is allowed, but maybe I can get some of these tests referred by my GP ahead of time so there is less of a wait? What other things should I be saying to my GP, in your experience? I have this slight paranoia that she will be reluctant to refer me for the surgery. Did anyone experience a reluctant GP?

Thanks!

Lindsay

kristaeb
on 6/4/13 10:35 am

Welcome Lindsay, my doctor was great. He new i needed to do this as well. Good Luck , keep us posted.. Krista...

Refered Jan 15/13..Surgery June 27/13 , Dr Hagan.

reliena
on 6/4/13 10:42 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 05/06/14

Hi Krista! Thanks, I will! I posted last Friday as well, but I know how posting on the last day before a weekend goes ;)

JJ_
on 6/4/13 10:40 am

Hi,

Do you meet the requirements for bariatric surgery?  Have you visited the Bariatric Registry and read their questions and answers fully?  Have you a BMI of over 35 and less than 40 with 2 co-morbidities?  Or do you have a BMI of 40 or more?  Have you attempted dieting previously and not been successful?  Do you have a medical requirement for a VSG or you just like that surgery more?

Your GP or the nurse practitioner could refer you to the registry.  Or a walk-in clinic doctor.  Or another professional, endocrinologist, gynecologist....if they know your medical history.

Good luck in your appointments on Thursday.

Judy

reliena
on 6/4/13 10:49 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 05/06/14

Hi Judy,

I appreciate the questions - I was asking for what I should ask the doctor, not myself ;) I've researched the heck out of this, so I have a pretty good leg up on things, though I wil continue to research before and after surgery (if I get it).

I haven't weighed myself in about a month, but I know I am still in the 265-280 range and 5'5.5". That puts me above 40 BMI for sure. I want to do this now before I get more and more co-morbidites, because I'm lucky to not have any right now. I do have problems with joints, swelling in the feet and ankles in hot weather, etc etc

I've been overweight since I was about seven! It's a lifelong struggle for me. The only time I have been slim at all was about 9 years ago when I had active Crohn's disease. This is why it is the VSG I am looking into, not RNY or others. It's the only approved WLS for something like Crohn's, even in remission.

It's good to know that just about anyone can refer me. I have already been emailing back and forth with my NP, so she has probably filled in my doctor about what I am pursuing. I suppose my bigger fear is that I will have some kind of complication from my previous Crohn's surgery (a resection of part of my small bowel) that will prevent this happening.

JJ_
on 6/4/13 4:02 pm

Congratulations!   You are prepared.  So now, the question will be.....will your PCP be prepared or the NP to refer you.  You have a medically valid reason for requesting the VSG.  You will need to discuss this with the bariatric centre (surgeon) when you meet with them.

It was my endocrinologist that asked me to think about having bariatric surgery.  She had other patients that were successful and was encouraging me to research and we would discuss it again at my next appointment.  I thought about it and when I met her again in September 2010, she sent in my referral.  I had also discussed it with my PCP and she was supportive as well.  Since I weighed approximately 380 with co-morbidities (sleep apnea, diabetes, high blood pressure - all controlled through CPAP or medication), I had tried unsuccessfully to diet since 1974, it was time.  I had not contributed to my pension plan all these years not to be able to reap the benefits for any extensive time.  I had RNY surgery in December 2011.  My life is so much better.  My recent appointment with the endocrinologist and after she reviewed the blood work told me that I no longer was diabetic.  It has been since surgery that I have been off of all medications.

Good luck in your journey.

Judy

reliena
on 6/4/13 5:15 pm - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 05/06/14

It's so amazing to me how WLS can help you turn back the clock on things like diabetes! Your story is inspiring. Thanks for sharing it with me :)

I will let you know how it goes tomorrow! Unfortunately I will be very sleepy because I can't get to sleep, ha!

(deactivated member)
on 6/4/13 10:48 am, edited 6/4/13 10:48 am - Straford, Canada

every case is different.  my GP sent me to and endocrinologist who set me up with the registry, then that same GP tried to stop the process by sending me to a holistic diet guy, then tried to get me to withdraw...  that was the last time I went to see him.  

As JJ alluded, you need a medical requirement to get a VSG in most cases, if you don't want a RNY you must do your research and be prepared to fight for it and if necessary walk away without it or pay for one yourself.

Enjoy the ride!  

reliena
on 6/4/13 10:51 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 05/06/14

I think it's possible that my GP may request I talk to my gastroenterologist before referring, since he knows more about my history with Crohn's disease. That's the reason for the VSG :)

reliena
on 6/4/13 10:51 am - Toronto, Canada
VSG on 05/06/14

And thanks!

Most Active
Recent Topics