Anyone watching "Extreme Weightloss" on ABC??

Marny B.
on 6/4/13 11:05 am - Canada

I just tuned in.  But the show info. says that Chris Powell (the 650 pound virgin turned weight loss expert) moves into the homes of obese people and helps them to retrain their minds and bodies to lose weight.  The one that is airing tonight was filmed in Niagara Falls and the participant is running the Niagara Marathon.  I happened to tune in when they were giving a recap of the first hour.  It said that this girl lost 84 pounds in 90 days.  Holy crap.  I didn't think that was possible without WLS and even then!!  That is almost a pound a day for 3 months.  Wow. 

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

mypita58
on 6/4/13 11:19 am - Windsor, Canada

I am taping it. Can't stand commercials.

Glenda    
Do not pray for an easier life, pray to be stronger.    JFK            
NorthernStar
on 6/4/13 11:42 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12
I saw last week's episode. I like Chris Powell and the weight loss is amazing, but I worry these people will not be able to keep it off. The 650 lb virgin gained all his weight back.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Marny B.
on 6/4/13 11:47 am - Canada

Ooops.  I misunderstood.  I thought Chris was the 650 pound virgin.

There was a blog from a former participant who gained it back and who spoke about all of the unhealthy things they did, including inducing dehydration before weigh ins  to get better results.  I'm not sure it is true, but this participant swears it is.  

Hanneli xoxo
on 6/4/13 10:02 pm - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12

lol I thought you said he was the 650 pound virgin lol..

NorthernStar
on 6/5/13 1:54 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Chris is the trainer who helped the 650 lb virgin lose his weight. I don't think it's a reflection on Chris that he gained the weight back, it's just something that happens. I really like Chris; he has never been overweight but he really treats obese people with respect and compassion. His wife does too.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

mona8
on 6/4/13 12:22 pm - Kingston, Canada
I flipped right past the channel. Some people believe that WLS is the last should be a last resort for people, I believe that exploiting the pain ( physical and emotional ) that obese people go through. on international television show, should be the last resort!

Ref- Aug 2011, Orient ( OWMC )- Nov 11, Transfer to Kingston- May 12, NP, DT,SW,H-pylori ( neg ), BW, Ab US,- Jul 12, NP return Aug 12 ( HBA1C 8.2 ), started insulin - Sept 12, Diabetic Opti Clinic-Jan 11 13 ( HBA1C 7.0 ), pre-op class- Feb 6 13, Surgeon Feb 22 2013 ( Dr. Hagen HRRH ), Dr. Glazier March 18 2013, PATTS Mar 12 2013, Opti Mar 21 2013 Surgery April 4 2013.

Marny B.
on 6/4/13 1:03 pm - Canada

Agreed!

Alice-58_.
on 6/4/13 3:13 pm
VSG on 02/26/13

I respect all the above comments but personally I found the program quite inspirational. I enjoy reading/hearing about success stories of weight loss. It pumps me...makes me want to work harder mentally/ physicially to help reach my goal. I am only 16 weeks out VGS and over twice that girl's age. I realize I need to ramp up my exercise to ever reach my goal as my weight loss has been slow. This program has made that quite evident  to me. Again, no disrespect intended to anyone else who posted.  I will admit though, the one disappointing comment  made by the trainer at the end when he said "my work here is done" was disheartening. Hopefully there will be some sort of followup with these gal. I wish her luck. didn't catch how old the show as. wonder how she is doing???

Live near Bayfield. Referral June 2011 to Windsor Bariatric Referral Center. July asked to be transferred to Guelph as closer but file got lost..  Orientation Nov 2011, Guelph. Nurse,Nut and SW X3 mid 2012. Surgeon Dec 2012. VGS Surgery Feb 26 2013 Dr Jules Guelph

Marny B.
on 6/5/13 1:45 am - Canada

Oh, it did inspire me.  I just wonder how it was all possible without extreme measures.  However she accomplished it, it wasn't without some serious blood, sweat, and tears!  I just have to wonder how healthy it all was.  She had to have been eating seriously little and exercising to the extreme to have lost that much in a year.  She lost 159 pounds in a year.  That is about how much I lost with WLS, and there were periods in that time where I was eating 400-600 calories on average because I couldn't fit in any more.  But for someone who has not had WLS, I just find it remarkable that she lost that much.  She must have been STARVING...poor girl .  But again...kuddos to her, because that was quite something.  I hope she is healthy for the rest of her life now. 

Most Active
Recent Topics