all TWH appointments done......now what?

newpossibilities
on 6/18/13 11:27 am - Oakville, Canada
RNY on 11/19/13

I finished all of my pre-appointments today and it feels kind of weird just to wait to hear more.  It's kind of like at the beginning - waiting for that orientation date.  Wow, that feels like so long ago now.

Wondering how long until I hear from someone at TWH about an appointment with the surgeon?  That is, of course, assuming no one wants be back for another appointment.

Those who went through TWH, how long did it take from last appointment to meeting the surgeon and then to the surgery date?  I feel kinda lost without another appointment to move forward to.

Referral Mar 1, 2013 Orientation Apr 17, NP May 2, SW May 6, Nut May 6, Dietitian June 6, Psych June 18, meet surgeon July 5, PATTS Oct 8, Surgery Nov 19th

Nanato2
on 6/18/13 11:37 am, edited 6/18/13 11:37 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

I was at TWH today also in the afternoon.

It took me a few weeks to hear back from them with a date to meet the surgeon which was about 11/2 - 2 months and then I had surgery 2 months after that.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Julia P.
on 6/18/13 11:38 am, edited 6/18/13 11:38 am - Canada
RNY on 10/16/12

Congrats on getting most of your appointments done!

The next step at TWH is for the team to discuss your file at their weekly rounds.  This happens each Thursday, but if there is a backlog it could be a couple of weeks before they get to your file.  Once that's done, you'll get a call shortly after with an appointment to meet the surgeon.

My last appointments were May 1st of last year, and then it too****il May 28th to get the call with my surgeon appointment.  My psychologist contact at TWH, Susan Wnuk, told me that I could contact her a few weeks after my last appointments to see where I was in the process.  I e-mailed her on May 22nd, she confirmed that I had been approved by the 25th, and I then got the call a few days afterwards.  So if you have the card of anyone on the team, I'd send them a friendly e-mail in a couple of weeks to see if they know whether or not your file has been approved.

My surgeon appointment was 2.5 months later, August 17th.  I tried calling many times to get that moved up, but had no luck.  I guess there aren't many cancellations by that point!

I hope this helps!  That part was by far the longest part of the process for me - hang in there!

Referral - December 2011 * Orientation TWH - March 13th, 2012 * Nurse Practitioner - April 17th, 2012 * Nutrition Class - April 17th, 2012 * Social Worker - April 24th, 2012 * Dietician - May 1st, 2012 * Psych - May 1st, 2012 * Surgeon - August 17th, 2012 * PATTS - Sept. 12th, 2012 * SURGERY TEGH, Dr. Cyriac - October 16th, 2012

Starting Weight - 320 lbs   *   Current Weight - 178 lbs  *  Goal Weight - 165 lbs 

newpossibilities
on 6/18/13 12:24 pm - Oakville, Canada
RNY on 11/19/13
Thanks so much for the info. I'll try and be patient. I do have all of the cards for everyone I've met with along the way so I'll be sure to email them after a couple of weeks have gone by if I haven't heard anything.

Referral Mar 1, 2013 Orientation Apr 17, NP May 2, SW May 6, Nut May 6, Dietitian June 6, Psych June 18, meet surgeon July 5, PATTS Oct 8, Surgery Nov 19th

Ingrid K.
on 6/18/13 5:46 pm - Canada
I just had my surgery two days ago. I waited about 2 weeks to hear back from them and they said that they were not backed up and that likely I would hear from my surgeon and have a date booked within 6 weeks. Fortunately, they had a cancellation and I was in for my operation in about 3 weeks. I am at st. Mike's hospital for the surgery, (that is the hospital my surgeon works out of) but went to TWH Bariatric centre for all my appointments. I know it is hard to wait, but at least you have an idea now that they are running pretty much on schedule for the summer of 2013. Good luck to you, and take care
Fabulous_by_Fifty
on 6/18/13 8:59 pm - Canada

I finished my last appointment Tues of last week.  They meet every Thursday.  I got lucky that they discussed my case on Thursday.  I got a call Friday morning with my appointment to meet the surgeon on July 5th.  Have no idea when surgery is but they told me I would be buying my Optifast on July 5th. 

newpossibilities
on 6/21/13 11:34 am - Oakville, Canada
RNY on 11/19/13
Hey - I got my appointment to meet the surgeon on July 5th as well. I am seeing Dr Aarts at 11:30. Who are you meeting?

newpossibilities
on 6/19/13 12:07 pm - Oakville, Canada
RNY on 11/19/13
I hope things move as fast as they did for the last two posters. Thanks for sharing.

Most Active
Recent Topics