Gaviscon post-op?

EternalEx
on 7/3/13 10:30 am - Canada
Does anyone know of a reason why liquid or chewable Gaviscon would not be advisable post-op?

I suffered from terrible GERD pre-surgery, and while i'm taking prevacid in the mornings i'm finding i'm waking up during the night feeling horribly nauseated and i'm wondering if it might be due to acid backing up because i'm sleeping on my back. I'm 6 days out from surgery.

Any other suggestions as to what might be causing my nighttime misery?
Lorraine M.
on 7/3/13 2:08 pm - Canada

Hi,

I also sleep on my back and woke up with gerd.

I used gaviscon pre op. Post op I was given prevacid fast tab which did not work as well as gaviscon for the quick relief for gerd. I called my clinic (humber) and they told me it was ok to take the gaviscon in addition to the prevacid. I also occasionally use papaya enzyme (chewable) if I eat something a bit too spicy. The gerd passed after about 2-3 weeks post op but I am still taking the prevacid as a preventative measure. I have had 2 hiatus hernias repaired so my surgeon suggested I stay on prevacid lifetime to help prevent ulcers. It is working fine.

Good luck, hope you feel better soon.

Monica M.
on 7/3/13 9:02 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

maybe move your prevacid to the night time?

try sleeping with a few more pillows under you, raise up your upper back.

Gaviscon does foam up, so it might cause you some discomfort. Check with your WLS centre, then your pharmacist.

JJ_
on 7/3/13 9:43 pm

Please call your bariatric centre as you are only 6 days out from surgery.  They need to be aware of what is going on and can advise you on what to do.

Judy

EternalEx
on 7/3/13 11:29 pm - Canada
Clearly I would be calling my centre. I was looking for others experiences.
Most Active
Recent Topics