Anti-depressants and WLS?

gardeninggal
on 7/10/13 4:54 am - Midland, Canada

Find I am struggling with low mood again :( and wondering how others handle the malabsorption issues of meds.  I am not asking for specifics but have had personal experience with anti-depressant meds over the years and the side effects have sometimes been worse that the mood issues.  I see my doc tomorrow and just thought I would put it out here on this site for others' experiences.

thanks so much

Laurie C.
on 7/10/13 5:02 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

Hey:

I take Cymbalta 60 mg for Anxiety and have not found any difference after WLS, but I take it at bedtime and I am 13 months out.  I still crush or chew all my pills 'cause I'm not taking any chances on anything not absorbing.  The Cymbalta is a capsule and I pull it apart and take it with sugar free pudding.  Just my opinion.

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

gardeninggal
on 7/10/13 6:26 am - Midland, Canada

Thanks Laurie!  I really appreciate your input.  I tried Cymbalta about three years ago and all I wanted to do was sleep, but it did help the other symptoms (chronic pain and low mood).  I am happy that it works so well for you.

Monica M.
on 7/10/13 10:56 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

nancy, i take cymbalta, finding that its working ok, no side effects.

Elektra_Kat
on 7/10/13 11:48 am
RNY on 06/26/13

I was on Wellbutrin but have been taken off it for the meantime while I cannot swallow pills since it is extended release and cannot be crushed. Instead, I've been put back on Zoloft and on a low dose and frankly it isn't strong enough. And it tastes TERRIBLE in whatever I put it in. I am really looking forward to getting the all clear to swallow small pills. And it seems a lot of people here have been able to swallow small pills from day 1. I'm being neurotic and not deviating from my centre's plan because I am determined to not screw this up.

Having said all that, however, when I do manage to get in all the Zoloft for a couple days in a row, my mood is vastly improved and I am not ***** Mom and don't crab at my kids. This is good.

Pawsitive_One
on 7/10/13 1:04 pm
RNY on 07/02/13

Hi Elektra Kat,  have you tried the 150 mg Wellbutrin pills? They're much smaller than the 300 mg if that's what you're on...

RnY: July 2nd, 2013

Elektra_Kat
on 7/10/13 8:55 pm
RNY on 06/26/13

I have not, but I will be sure to bring this up with my doctor! Thank you!

gardeninggal
on 7/10/13 10:49 pm - Midland, Canada

Thank you, I really appreciate your input.

Corinna H.
on 7/11/13 1:04 am - Guelph, Canada
RNY on 07/03/13

I have been taking my pristiq since one day post op. You can't cru**** So I've had to swallow it. It was shocked the day after to find out that there was no alternative in the hospital. I have been doing ok and I am not concerned with it getting stuck. I take it well after eating and knowing that I am in my sip sip stage of the day.

HW: 293.4 SW: 261.4 CW: 161 Referral - Dec 5/12.  Orientation: Feb 21/13. Upper GI and Ab u/s March 7/13. RN, NUT, SW Apr 8/13. 1st appt Dr. Klein Apr 11/13. fu NUT May 2/13. Dr. Glazer May 27/13. 2nd appt Dr. Klein June 3/13. Opti June 19/13. PATTS June 20/13 . RNY - July 3, 2013   

gardeninggal
on 7/11/13 11:01 am - Midland, Canada

thank you for your kind response to my topic my oh friends.  Hubby and I have our home of 25 years plus for sale and have been busy de-cluttering, spiffing up, etc. and it is an emotional roller coaster to say the least.  My mood has been low but have also been exercising regularl, etc. which doc feels that so far so good and to keep up the great work.  In his words:  situational stress.  I will take that and continue to work my exercise goals and oh yeah....have to get my own personal MP player to use when I need to take time out.  

Most Active
Recent Topics