Sick of SWEET

Pawsitive_One
on 7/13/13 11:38 am
RNY on 07/02/13

I'm 11 days post op and I'm finding that I can't stand any more "sweet" tasting things like my protein drink, unsweetened apple sauce (it still tastes sweet to me), low fat pudding or yogurt.   Did anyone else experience this or is experiencing this?  I never thought I'd find myself saying that I can't wait for the pureed foods of meats and veggies!  In the meantime non flavoured protein powder in low fat creamy soups will have to do.

PS. Did anyone have any problems with cream of tomato soup?  I had two tablespoons and felt nauseous a few minutes after it so I said buh-bye to that and curled up with my cats and napped off the nausea. 

RnY: July 2nd, 2013

Darthmummy
on 7/13/13 11:49 pm
I here you on the sweet thing. I'm on week three of opti and wished it was chicken flavoured. And pizza flavoured sugar-free mints.
Dar_Mab
on 7/13/13 11:51 pm - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13

Yes I didnt enjoy all the sweet things after surgery.  I didn't do anymore than about 3 shakes and then I stopped those especially after my clinic said to get protein from foods.  I did do the apple sauce and puddings for the required two weeks of full fluids but then never looked back once I could add in soft foods.   

Just remember, " this too shall pass".  A quote I often repeated to myself as the kids went through their various stages in life.  Lol

HW: 305   SW: 272  CW: 155  Height: 5'4"

Pawsitive_One
on 7/14/13 4:19 am
RNY on 07/02/13

Yes thank you for reminding me....I'm sure it will soon enough! 

Lorieliz
on 7/14/13 6:39 am - Canada

Everything bu****er was too sweet post op. It took a few weeks for the "everything is just too damn sweet" to mellow out. I still find that I can only take sweet in small doses. I'd rather have hummus or edeaame beans anyday. 

Referral St. Joe's, Hamilton - Surgery May 28, 013 

kim_emma02
on 7/14/13 10:44 pm - Ontario, Canada

I too am not a huge sweet fan post-op.  Does your plan allow you to have cottage cheese on full fluids?  I found that helped me ALOT!  I also had issues with tomato soup and when re-evaluating the label I found it had far too much sugar for my new tummy.  I still steer clear of it out of sheer fear!  I stuck to cream soups, cottage cheese and apple sauce until puree!  Good luck!  You will do great!

RNY 02/04/2013 with Dr Starr

Pawsitive_One
on 7/15/13 6:10 am
RNY on 07/02/13

Thanks for sharing your experiences Kim!

Yeah, I never went back to try cream of tomato soup again - the fist time felt like a bomb went off in my tummy!    I can have cottage cheese (not much of a fan) BUT I just tried Longo's light ricotta cheese and its YUM! 

Its all trial and error and I don't dare try anything new when I'm not at home! lol

kim_emma02
on 7/15/13 6:48 am - Ontario, Canada

I'm happy to hear that you have found something that you like!!!  Keep up the trial and error and full fluids will be over before you know it!!!  My fav soup was low fat cream of chicken and I also made a high protein low fat cauliflour soup with ricotta cheese and it was pretty yummy too.  I also liked plain fat free greek yogurt and add a tiny bit of sugar free jam (without the chunks) just to add some flavor and found it was managable. 

At 5 1/2 months out, I still fear trying something new when I'm not home......... 

RNY 02/04/2013 with Dr Starr

Most Active
Recent Topics