Anyone else with poor blood circulation post WLS

Marny B.
on 7/19/13 2:33 pm - Canada

Since having surgery, and losing the bulk of my weight, I have had what I am assuming is blood circulation problems.  I've never asked the doctor about it, but it is becoming a nightly thing now.  I am fine during the day, but nearly every night I am waking up with complete numbness in my hand, or my whole arm, and tonight, it was my whole leg!  I was asleep for I'd say an hour and I woke up with absolutely no feeling in my right leg.  I could not walk on it. It just gave out under me,and took a good 5 minutes to regain  circulation.  

Anyone else have this post RNY?  I don't think it's my sleeping position.  I did not have this (to my recollection) before surgery, except once in a while when I slept with my arms under me.  My resting heart rate has become quite low (usually 45-55 bpm) and I'm wondering if it is even more sluggish at night? Another thought that has crossed my mind is that perhaps my sleep apnea has returned for some strange reason?  I never received a second test. The dr. Told me he thought it had resolved because of my WLS and there was no need for another sleep study. 

Hmmmm.....any thoughts?

Referral Sent:  March 19, 2010
Surgery date with Dr. Denis Hong: December 9, 2010

libra1
on 7/19/13 3:49 pm - Canada
VSG on 09/17/13

Not sure if this is useful information, but I remember reading somewhere that excessive vitamin B can cause nerve toxicity which can cause numbness in legs. enlightened

kristaeb
on 7/19/13 10:12 pm

Hi Marny, i am having the opposite effect. Before surgery i had to sleep with braces every night on my hands because of numbness. I am just over 3 weeks out and i no longer have any numbness, and havent had to use my braces in 2 weeks. Maybe your right and another sleep test should be done just in case. Good luck Krista..

Refered Jan 15/13..Surgery June 27/13 , Dr Hagan.

kayakgirl
on 7/19/13 10:43 pm - Canada

Sounds strange. I'd  see a doctor for reassurance.

Initial referral: March 21, 2013; Orientation: April 26, 2013 (OWMC); Nurse Practitioner: July 10, 2013; Nut/Beh: July 15, 2013; Pre-op Class: September 18, 2013; Internist: September 18, 2013; Surgeon: October 1, 2013; Surgery: November 25, 2013 (Dr. Yelle)

RidingFan
on 7/19/13 11:06 pm - Ajax, Canada
RNY on 04/29/13
It is also possible that with weight loss and changes in pressure points while you sleep that you are compressing different points in your spine causing pinched nerves and temporary numbness in your limbs. Your doctor or chiropractor should be able to help with that. Let us know how it goes.

Referred HRRH Apr.  2012, Info. Session: Sept 12/12, Surgeon Consult: Dr L Smith Sept 19/12,  RD/SW/RN/ Nov 19/12.  Surgery Date:  April 29, 2013

Marny B.
on 7/19/13 11:14 pm - Canada

I think it's time to mention it to the dr.  :). Thanks for all the advice. 

highlandbear
on 7/20/13 2:17 am - Canada

You know I am going to tell you to go to the doctor. You should be checked again for sleep apnea and for other things. No more playing guessing games. I do not believe it has to do with rny surgery. Let us know what the doc. says. 

Just a side note do you know about myke and Larry. Not good news this week for them. If you have not heard let me know and I will message it to you in a private note. They need our prayers.

Marny B.
on 7/20/13 3:31 am - Canada

Hey Bab. Yes, I heard about Myke. We are Facebook friends. So sad for them. :(

they have been through so much with Larry's health. 

renau2e
on 7/20/13 4:51 am - Canada
RNY on 05/07/13
Oh my go****hought it was just me and couldn't figure out what was going on .... since surgery (honestly, within days afterward) I have been experiencing numbness. Sometimes even my hands and arms like when I cross my arms for a bit ... or sitting on the ground, I constantly have to swich positions because my legs will go numb. Sometimes it's sort of like a charlie-horse but without the extreme pain. My hands/feet/legs/arms will clench up.
I had surgery May 7th .... I thought maybe it was a symptom of dehydration ??? But I drink enough that I'm pretty sure that can't be the case anymore.
I planned to ask at my 3 month appointment next month but wasn't sure if it was surgery related or not.

Referral sent-  Feb. 4, 2013   Referral received-  Feb. 14, 2013  Orientation- (HRRH)- Mar. 7, 2013   Sleep study-  Mar. 9, 2013   Meet Surgeon (Dr. Klein)-  March 21, 2013   SW/RD/RN- Mar. 26, 2013  Dr. Glazer-  Apr. 3, 2013 Surgeon Appt. (book surgery and pick up Opti)- Apr. 16, 2013  Start Opti- Apr. 17, 2013 PATTApr. 25, 2013   Surgery!!! May 7, 2013

Highest Weight- 345 lbs   Post-Opti/Surgery Weight ????    Goal Weight- 165 lbs

Most Active
Recent Topics