protein shake virgin

kathycantwait
on 8/2/13 3:23 am - Canada

Hi I am going to attempt buying my first protein shake today and was hoping for some suggestions on value taste and anything else that might help in picking out one or what some of you might do to tweak the taste to make it bearable.

JJ_
on 8/2/13 4:49 am, edited 8/2/13 4:50 am

For someone post- RNY you need a protein shake that is whey isolate  protein based. (i.e. stay away from collagen based protein).  Look for one that has the best number of grams per shake (once prepared, or if it is pre-prepared), with the least amount of carbohydrates and calories.

Personally I prefer the Premier Protein shakes (available at Costco only in Canada) in chocolate or vanilla.  They are 30 grams of protein for 160 calories per drink.  They are pre-made, so easy to pop in the fridge and then take to go.  I sometimes will use a frozen banana with the chocolate one and 5 ice-cubes in the blender for a thick milkshake consistency.

My taste buds have not changed from pre-surgery.  Some folks have noted a change in preference for their protein drinks (find them too sweet, etc.) if they had really enjoyed it before.

Good luck in your search.

Judy

ETA:  They are sold in a case of 18 for approx $25.99.

Patm
on 8/2/13 5:47 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

If you are going with powders I found iWindirect good because I could order samples. You just pay for shipping. Then you have not made a big investment in a powder you find you do not like.(I have had a few)

Lorieliz
on 8/3/13 1:12 am - Canada

THanks for the iWIn link! I am going to give them a try - good prices. I like that they have the unflavoured protein - going to add some to my oatmeal so that it isn't a total carbfest...

Referral St. Joe's, Hamilton - Surgery May 28, 013 

2mar
on 8/2/13 6:20 am
RNY on 09/20/12

I have sensory issues to I am very fussy about certain tastes / and especially textures. 

Maybe Popeye is slightly more expensive but I did find it very helpful for me that I could sample them. They also have great shakers and often will give you one for free. 

I did find a great one that just tastes like a choc drink.

Biox Isolate all natural choc protein. It is a powder - but I make it at home and take it with me , as needed.

It has 28 gr of protein per serving. 

Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

Most Active
Recent Topics