FeraMAX Powder vs Capsules

OKNEE FE + 3
on 8/9/13 8:06 am

Biosyent manufacturer of FeraMAX have recently introduced a new product FeraMAX powder.  Intended for the paediatric population as dosing is easily adjusted for age and size, the fact that it is dissolved into a liquid makes it attractive to fresh bariaric patients.  I had opportunity to discuss at length with the drug rep today.  The powder is flavoured (Grape/berry) and smells strongly of grape and easily dissolves in cool liquids.  FeraMAX capsules can be opened and contents dissolved in warm fluids is flavourless and odourless.  Both darken the liquid it is dissolved in so disolving it in water results in a brown coloured beverage that makes me thin of sewer water.  As per availability both are available at the most reasonable price at Costco capsules are $50/100 and the powder is $22 for an 86g bottle.  Three bottles of FerMAX powder=100 FeraMAX capsules so the powder will cost $16 dollars more than the capsules. 

While typing this up for a local WLS I came up with the idea of dissolving the Contents of three FeraMAX capsules in warm water add a crystal lite or some mio and refridgerated drinking 1/3 of the liquid as one dose. . .just a thought

Oknee's just gotta dance
Weight at the start of Optifast 378 T-1 OR Weight 352
Broke the 300 pound Barrier 13-Dec-2009 291.2lbs 01-APR-11 "onederland"
HGBA1C 5.2  d/c from the care of  my Endocrinolgist 09-JUL-10 "diabetes resolved"
10-MAR-11 Extreme Sleep Apnea (dx 2007) resolved-"b-bye CPAP won't miss ya"

HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT IRON AND/OR http://theironmaiden.ca/                

2mar
on 8/9/13 8:47 am
RNY on 09/20/12

thanks - as always ... you are a wealth of information. 

Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

roxytrim
on 8/9/13 9:24 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Nice to see you are back in the saddle... as it were.  Do you recommend these FeraMAX capsules over proferrin, if we don't seem to have a problem taken the proferrin?

OKNEE FE + 3
on 8/9/13 10:37 am
If you are successful at maintaining your ferritin level on proferrin stick with it. FeraMax is less expensive and have more dosing options, but don't encourage changing something that works!

Oknee's just gotta dance
HGBA1C 5.2  d/c from the care of  my Endocrinolgist 09-JUL-10 "diabetes resolved"

JJ_
on 8/9/13 10:35 pm

Thanks for the info Leona.  The idea of making the dosing easier with the powder is a great idea.  Personally I swallow the FeraMax whole with no problems, nor have I had any problems with my iron levels.

Judy

p.s.  **hugs** from Ottawa

OKNEE FE + 3
on 8/9/13 11:06 pm, edited 8/10/13 6:03 am
Just to clarify my suggestions were for the contents of the opened capsule not the new format of FeraMAX, FeraMAX powder as it is already flavoured. The FeraMAX powder or opening and dissolving the contents of the capsule are suggestions for the new post ops or those with extremely low ferritin levels to boost the absorption rate

Oknee's just gotta dance

Lorraine M.
on 8/12/13 8:59 am - Canada

Thanks for the info Leona,

My iron and iron storage is now all good since switching to feramax. I am taking 2 capsules each day and dont have any trouble swallowing them. The proferrin was not working for me before. It is so nice not to worry about this.

I heard that you might be coming to our west end coffee chat this wed. I hope so. I met a pre-op who has iron issues already and she is attending.  She takes a ferrous iron (i think). Unfortunately she is not on the internet so I try to share based on my limited knowledge.

Glad to see you posting again, Hope to meet you.

Most Active
Recent Topics