I'd Like To Try This Recipe For A Peanut Butter & Banana Roll-Up

jellyfishattack
on 8/18/13 1:33 am, edited 8/18/13 1:34 am - Canada
RNY on 03/11/13

Hi everyone,

I'm just over 5 months out and I'd love to try this recipe from the HRRH book "The Complete Weight Loss Surgery - Guide & Diet Program", but I wonder about eating an entire 1/2 TBS of PB in one sitting - is that too much fat?

I've tried eating a teaspoon of PB and had no ill effects (no dumping, etc.)

Also, would this replace a meal, or be a snack?  I'm not sure if I could eat that much stuff at once - it sounds like more of an occasional treat to me with the comparatively high fat and low protein content.

Peanut Butter and Banana Roll-Up:

1 TBS all-natural peanut butter

1 small whole wheat flour tortilla

1 small banana

Spread PB evenly over tortilla.  Lay banana on PB and gently straighten out the curve of the banana.  Roll tortilla up tightly and slice into 6 small rounds.

Variation: Use any nut butter.

Nutrients Per Serving (Makes Two Servings):

Calories: 165

Fat: 5.7g

Sodium: 86 mg

Carbs: 24.3g

Sugar: 7.2g

Protein: 4.3g

Calcium: 3mg

Iron: 0.9mg

Thanks for any opinions!

Jenn.  :)

1st appointment - Feb. 23rd, 2012. RNY Dr Cyriac Mar. 11th, 2013.

DeidreB
on 8/18/13 2:29 am

Nope, not too much fat.  Remember its combined with other low fat foods so risk of dumping is low.  

You could also start with a 1/2  serving, if you are worried.

jellyfishattack
on 8/18/13 3:52 am - Canada
RNY on 03/11/13

Thank you, Deirdre,

I'm afraid I just am too paranoid about eating too much fat, although everyone needs some fat to live.

Since 1 tbs of peanut butter didn't cause me any problems, I think I can get away with the full portion.

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/13 9:25 am - Straford, Canada

Its not a meal with 4.3 g protein.  Way too high in carbs, minimal protein.  Add a quarter of it to a good serving of Greek yogurt, hummus, etc then maybe a part of a meal, but it ain't a meal.  Just my opinion.  

jellyfishattack
on 8/18/13 10:53 am - Canada
RNY on 03/11/13

I would agree with you about the minimal protein, etc.  It's just confusing because the book isn't divided into meals/snacks, etc., which isn't an excuse for not knowing which one it is, but I did suspect it wasn't a meal.  I do aim for 80+g of protein/day.  It tasted great though - after 6 months without having any peanut butter and it was my first try at eating bread (albeit in tortilla form).  I just don't want to introduce temptations or bad habits because I know they are slippery slopes... so, it will be considered a special treat on the odd occasion.

Lorieliz
on 8/18/13 11:41 am - Canada

LOL, for me it is a nightmare in a tortilla. Both peanut butter and bananas don't work for me.

I would try eating some peanut butter with a banana first,

Referral St. Joe's, Hamilton - Surgery May 28, 013 

jellyfishattack
on 8/19/13 12:06 am - Canada
RNY on 03/11/13

Amazingly, my first attempt at eating a 'sandwich' went down with no problems.  I'd better buy some of the tortillas IrishNurse suggested.  I have a feeling my pouch is pretty tolerant - I've only vomited twice and both times it was my fault, so I don't want to eat too much peanut butter or too many carbs & not enough protein.  It's a slippery slope...

Irishnurse
on 8/18/13 11:51 am
DS on 04/17/13

Use Joseph's flax seed, oat bran and whole wheat pita bread and you will cut the carbs down to 4g, sugar down to 0 and protein to 6. You can find it at Walmart. It is delicious. Tastes like a whole wheat tortilla

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

jellyfishattack
on 8/19/13 12:08 am - Canada
RNY on 03/11/13

Wow,

Thanks for the great tip Irishnurse.  I always worry about sabotaging my weight loss by deviating from the prescribed diet.  Joseph's seems a lot healthier than the tortilla I used.

Most Active
Recent Topics