GOING TO APPOINTMENTS ALONE?

pink7sadie
on 8/22/13 11:22 pm

So I was super excited a couple of days ago I got my orientation date.  I just received the package and after going thru it briefly I saw that they recommend you bring someone to all your appointments with you.  I always thought I'd just go by myself.  I don't think I have anyone I can bring   My husband, my mom, my BFF all have to work...  Now I'm feeling kind of sad about going by myself. 

Has anyone else just done this on their own?

Delicious_Delilah
on 8/22/13 11:35 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Yup.  I'm single and my family lives nine hours away be car. Could have brought a friend I suppose, but didn't feel the need. 

DD

Jennifer S.
on 8/22/13 11:37 pm - Belleville, Canada

When I went to my orientation there were a few people that were there by themselves. I think they suggest it so that if you forget something that the person that you brought with you might remember it. I personally brought my mom with me. Good Luck you will do fine smiley

Referral: March 22nd 2013, Orientation at HDH: July 17th 2013,  Blood work: August 9th 2013, Nurse Practitioner: August 9th 2013, ECG: August 9th 2013, Sleep Study Part 2: August 14th 2013, CPAP Machine: August 16th 2013, Ultrasound: September 17th 2013  Dietitian: September 20th 2013, Social Worker:  September 20th 2013, Gastroscopy: September 27th 2013, Cardiologist: October 24th 2013, Dietitian: November 8th 2013

newpossibilities
on 8/23/13 12:05 am - Oakville, Canada
RNY on 11/19/13

I brought my husband to the orientation with me but the rest of the appointments I have done on my own.  Good thing because now he has started the process and I wouldn't want to go have to go with him to all of his appointments :)

I found that there was almost no information at the orientation that I didn't know since I had been doing tons of reading/research before hand.  It was nice that my husband was there, however, so he could ask questions or learn about the procedure/process from someone other than me. 

To be honest I don't think I would have benefited by having someone at all of the other appointments except to have someone to chat with on the drive and in the waiting room. 

Referral Mar 1, 2013 Orientation Apr 17, NP May 2, SW May 6, Nut May 6, Dietitian June 6, Psych June 18, meet surgeon July 5, PATTS Oct 8, Surgery Nov 19th

CCs_mum
on 8/23/13 12:13 am

I went on my own, so did 2 others in the orientation I attended.

Have learned that I can't measure my journey only by what I've lost.  I've gained health and extra time on this earth ... that is most important

BluIzGal
on 8/23/13 12:14 am - Canada
RNY on 07/10/12

I went through everything alone. I had done so much reading online and on OH, the orientation provided no new info.  I went to each appointment alone and was alone in the hospital for the most part (Mom "surprised" me and arrived just before I went in for surgery and left once I was brought into recovery and Dad picked me up and drove me home). I've seen it about 50/50 for appointments but I was one of the few at the orientation alone. I live alone and due to some complications I would not have been able to get through the first couple of weeks without my parents. 

Foy
on 8/23/13 1:29 am - Canada
RNY on 08/30/13

I took my mother to orientation and my first appointment. My other half , now ex other half was not interested whatsoever in the process ... I did all the rest of my appointments on my own as it was just more convenient but have kept communication open with my parents and BFF so they are well in the loop as to what is going on.

A good support system is great, but you don't have to take someone.

Referral: July, 2012 Orientation TWH: November 12, 2012 NP/SW: March 25, 2013 Sleep Study: April 15, 2013 Nutrition Class: April 16, 2013 Dietitian: June 19, 2013 Psych: June 25, 2013  Dr OkrainecAugust 2, 2013  PATTS: August 9, 2013 Surgery Dr. Urbach: August 30, 2013

Dar_Mab
on 8/23/13 2:12 am - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13

I took my husband to Orientation but all my other appointments were by myself. Didn't see a need to bring anyone. 

HW: 305   SW: 272  CW: 155  Height: 5'4"

Member Services
on 8/23/13 2:26 am - Irvine, CA

If you want, go it alone!  They recommend you have someone, as it's helpful to have that support. You can let them know you have support they are just not available to come with you during that time.  

jellyfishattack
on 8/23/13 2:50 am - Canada
RNY on 03/11/13

Don't worry about going to any appointments alone - I went to all mine alone.

Just take along a little notebook or some paper and a pen to write things down and jog your memory if you have questions you want to ask. 

TWH gave everyone a photocopy of each Power Point presentation slide, but I still made a few notes on them.  The presenter always has a few extra tips.

Good luck!

Jenn.  :)

1st appointment - Feb. 23rd, 2012. RNY Dr Cyriac Mar. 11th, 2013.

Most Active
Recent Topics