Lactose Intolerant?

DeidreB
on 8/25/13 7:05 am

I think I may be lactose intolerant post-op.  I have a lot of gas and went lactose free yesterday with some improvement. Today I had ricotta cheese and blueberries for breakfast with a lot of abd discomfort and gas by lunch.

I really do like dairy and it was the basis of most liquids post op so I'm still liking greek yogurt/ricotta.  I bought some lactose free milk 1% but am not sure what to do about yogurt/cheese.

I understand there's a lactose tablet that can be taken prior to eating dairy - does anybody use that?

Please share, any guidance/meal suggestions or good substitutions for dairy with lots of protein?

TanyaLH
on 8/25/13 7:49 am - London, Canada
RNY on 05/31/13

Hi Deidre,

I too became lactose intolerant post surgery, not fun. I am able to tolerate cottage cheese, yogurt and other cheese but not regular milk. I switched to lactose free milk and have had no problems since.

Maybe call your centre about the lactose table and see what they say.

All the best,

Tanya

time2changeme
on 8/25/13 11:58 am

I am lactose intolerant post op as well.  But I seem to be okay with cheeses and yogurt, maybe because they are more cultured. 

I still can't handle any milk or cream soups, they won't stay down at all.

Maybe try greek yogurt and cheese, and see what happens.

Good Luck!  

EternalEx
on 8/25/13 11:53 pm - Canada
There are non-dairy alternatives for yogurt - soy and coconut products are more widely available now (usually located in the "specialty" foods are). As for cheese, you may need to experiment with types and amounts to see what, if anything, you can i handle. Generally speaking, the harder the cheese the less lactose it will have.
LORICARD
on 8/26/13 12:15 am - Canada

i buy my almond milk at costco black diamond 6 packs for $9.99, i can have cheese and yogurt to an extent but found i can't drink a lot of milk so i just switched to almond

sharmc
on 8/28/13 12:38 pm - Canada

I was diagnosed lactose intolerant at 1 year post op.   I take lactaid when I will be eating dairy. Even then I really avoid heavy creamy or cheesy dishes.  I used natural lactose free milk in all my baking, cooking, teas etc.   I loved cheese so that was the hardest past.  If you like old cheddar, buy yourself some nice, extremely old cheddar.   Most hard cheddars are very low in lactose.  You can get certified organic lactose free, but really if you just buy 8+ year old you should be fine.  Goat cheese as well should be fine in moderation. 

It's not a fun road by any means, but it doesn't have to derail you either.  Talk to your clinic's nutritionist and have them help suggest alternatives to your current dairy items.  

Most Active
Recent Topics