6 Month Follow Up!!

gunnabehealthy
on 9/4/13 11:46 am
Today I had my 6 month follow up at HRRH. The dietician and surgeon were both very pleased with my progress. That makes me very happy! I was totally worried that I haven't lost enough. I know SILLY!! I am down a total of 93.4 pounds and only 1.7 pounds away from onederland! I was so hoping their scale would read much less than mine and I would get there today! But, I will eventually!

Now the dietician wants me to increase my calories from 800-900 to 1200. How do I do this? My mind can not wrap around this idea. Also, I have to increase my carbs by almost doubling them! How do you do this and still loose weight?

They also say that even only loose a pound or less a week from here on in, that is fine. I am trying to aim for 2-3 pounds per week still! I have at least 30-50 pounds to go. They would like to see the 30 and I would like the 50.

Five weeks ago I started the couch to 5K and have my first EVER 5K run. I signed up for the "Run for the Cure". I might be slow but I can run 8 mins straight now. This was one thing on my WLS bucket list. Only 32 days away! It is the day after the Meet and Greet that I will be going to a well. Busy weekend! But life is a so hoo right now, I am taking it!!

Loving my new life! And my RnY!
Hennagirliegirl
on 9/4/13 11:33 pm - Canada

Your enthusiasm is palpable, I'm thrilled for you! Congrats, keep up the amazing work

Terri

preop surgery booked Nov 5th with Dr Hagen HRH

Delicious_Delilah
on 9/5/13 12:06 am - Ottawa, Canada

Congratulations on your progress!  I had the very same conversation with the dietician at my 6 month follow-up -- though they wanted me to increase even more -- up to 1400-1500 calories and about 140-180 grams of carbs a day.  I practically fell off my chair.

I did manage to get both my calories and carbs up and it did not hinder my weight loss.  I am continuing to lose.  I am also very active -- so they do take your activity level, your height and current weight, etc., into account when they make the calculations about what you should be eating. 

I managed to gradually increase my calories/carb intake by making sure I ate both before and after a workout, and the post-workout snack usually includes something like crackers (4) and cheese (1 oz) and a fruit.  That snack alone is in the realm of about 250 calories, and a decent amount of carbs.  It does prevent going into starvation mode, which is why they want you to increase you calories/carbs.  And I have to say it works -- at least for me.  My weight loss actually increased a little when I upped my calories/carbs.

If crackers are a problem for you (foods like that can be for some...leading to wanting more carbs), you can do a fruit smoothie...but something with both protein and carbs is essential.  Make sure your carb choice is healthy (whole grains, fruit, etc.)

Good luck!

DD

Most Active
Recent Topics