What happens...

RazzBJam
on 9/13/13 11:57 am - Canada
Hi everyone, surgery is approaching quickly Sept 23, st joes in toronto with dr. Smith! I am on day 5 out of 14 for opti. I guess I am over thinking everything it came to mind on what happens after surgery while in the hospital...sipping, walking but do they do any testing, blood work or anything while there or before they release you? I guess that's one part I haven't thought about!

JJ_
on 9/13/13 9:13 pm

Yes, they check your bloodwork.  They are monitoring for infection and if you are diabetic - your sugar levels.

starry957
on 9/13/13 10:49 pm

Well..I know they checked blood, blood pressure, temp, the usual stuff.  I can't really remember much about the first day.  I was at St Joe's - they also do an injection but I forget what it's for - it was a bit of a blur but not a big deal.  Also, pain meds - you can request that you take them "crushed" if you want as well....which I did - but it was not fun really.

Thank goodness it's only a couple days.....but it really wasn't so bad.  You just get better and better with each passing day. 

Good luck!  Overthinking is NORMAL!

January 8th, 2013 - VSG with Dr Paul Sullivan (St Joe's Toronto)

Dale B.
on 9/13/13 11:20 pm - Canada
I am leaving the hospital today , my surgery was at TWH but they are part of the same network. I had blood pressure, temp and oxygen taken every 4-6 hrs, blood work the day after surgery, a blood thinner injection, twice a day. I feel great, keep a positive attitude and u will do fine

Dale-Referral: October/12 ~ Orientation: January 2/13 ~ Nurse Practitioner:  May 7/13 Social Worker: May 7/13 ~ Sleep Test: May 23/13 ~ Nutrition Class: May 28/13 Nutrition Assess: May 31/13~ Psychologist: June 24/13 ~ Surgeon: August 9/13 ~ Pre-OP: August 28,2013Surgery Date: September 12/13        

libra1
on 9/14/13 10:10 am - Canada
VSG on 09/17/13

Hi Dale,

I'm glad all went well!  I'll be at TWH on Tuesday and was just wondering .... in their info pamphlet they said they supplied gowns, pj bottoms, house coats and slippers. Did They? Did the hospital gowns actually fit people who are extra luscious? Just wanted to know what I should really bring.

I wish you all the best in your recovery. enlightened

Dale B.
on 9/14/13 11:20 am - Canada

I brought my own nightgown, robe and slippers, felt much better in my own, especially when you are walking the hallways. I found the hospital gowns very uncomfortable in bed. 

Good luck on Tuesday, you got this

Dale  enlightened

Dale-Referral: October/12 ~ Orientation: January 2/13 ~ Nurse Practitioner:  May 7/13 Social Worker: May 7/13 ~ Sleep Test: May 23/13 ~ Nutrition Class: May 28/13 Nutrition Assess: May 31/13~ Psychologist: June 24/13 ~ Surgeon: August 9/13 ~ Pre-OP: August 28,2013Surgery Date: September 12/13        

libra1
on 9/14/13 11:26 am - Canada
VSG on 09/17/13

Thanks Dale! enlightened

RazzBJam
on 9/14/13 12:26 am - Canada
Thanks everyone for responding, I have lost as of this morning a total of 10 lbs being on optifast. It's not easy but I am keeping my eyes on the prize!
RidingFan
on 9/14/13 4:20 am - Ajax, Canada
RNY on 04/29/13

All the best for your surgery...I also had Dr. Smith at St. Joe's and everything went really well, no complications or issues. They checked vitals while there, some meds in IV and also gave the blood thinner by injection for the 3 days, but none needed once home as some programs do.  They brought all the pain pills crushed to take with some sugar free marmalade (yucky) but it helped.  Also gravol available if needed.  You will do great!

Referred HRRH Apr.  2012, Info. Session: Sept 12/12, Surgeon Consult: Dr L Smith Sept 19/12,  RD/SW/RN/ Nov 19/12.  Surgery Date:  April 29, 2013

Most Active
Recent Topics