Not enough calcium...?

Jodi77
on 9/16/13 4:29 am - Scarborough, Canada
RNY on 02/05/13

I have a VERY hard time getting in all 4 of my calcium pills a day.  Most days it's just 2.  However on my 3 and 6 month blood work my calcium levels were good.  Should I worry about taking the extra or not bother????  I eat a lot of yogurt and milk etc...

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...” 
 Dr. Seuss

Orientation: March 2012      Blah Blah Blah     Surgery:  February 5, 2013

Monica M.
on 9/16/13 5:45 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

I get really constipated if i take 4 calciums a day. I'm on 2 - 3 a day, depending on how much i remember to take. If your levels are good (that's the best measure) then i think you're probably good, going on as you are. Make sure to get bone density testing done, tho.

Diminishing Dawn
on 9/16/13 8:05 am - Windsor, Canada

Bloodwork levels are not a good indicator.    The body will get what it needs so that it's bloodworm levels are normal.  But it steals it from the bones to do so.  Levels may come back normal but you become osteopenic.  Happened to me.  Just keep pushing up those levels. 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

birdiegirl
on 9/16/13 9:07 am

What Dawn said

Watch your Parathyroid levels......if they increase you are likely leaching calcium from your bones......take your calcium and deal with any constipation issues with other methods,,,,,,this is very important

JJ_
on 9/16/13 2:00 pm

I take 6 calcium citrate pills per day.  3 servings.  I take one set with my multivitamins in morning (no iron in multi), one set after lunch and one set at supper. I take iron twice a day (mid-morning) and again late evening before bed.

The B12 is in the morning with the multivitamin.

I agree with a previous poster, that your blood work will not show problems with your calcium levels until it is much too late.  The APN informed me that calcium is taken from your bones to make up any deficit.  I certainly would not want to trade my health benefits for weak brittle bones.

Judy

Mary A.
on 9/17/13 6:06 am

would rather err on the side of caution and get what you should...rather than (assume) you are getting enough from dairy products...JMO

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active
Recent Topics