Questions?????

Dale B.
on 9/19/13 12:46 am - Canada

More questions??? 1 week post-op

1. Can we chew gum? Can't find anything about it in my papers, and my mouth is so dry

2. When on liquid diet, can we opt to have 1/2 cup of 1 item, instead of 1/4 of 2 item?

3. Can we have 1/2 cup of protein shake for snack instead of 1/3 at meal and 1/3 as snack?

More to come, lol

Just a note: the mushroom and garlic cream soup is amazing

Dale enlightened

Dale-Referral: October/12 ~ Orientation: January 2/13 ~ Nurse Practitioner:  May 7/13 Social Worker: May 7/13 ~ Sleep Test: May 23/13 ~ Nutrition Class: May 28/13 Nutrition Assess: May 31/13~ Psychologist: June 24/13 ~ Surgeon: August 9/13 ~ Pre-OP: August 28,2013Surgery Date: September 12/13        

(deactivated member)
on 9/19/13 1:02 am, edited 9/19/13 1:02 am - Straford, Canada

1. No. Drink more. Eat small amounts of ice chips.

2. You can have pretty much anything you want as long as its liquid and high in protein, low/no in fat.

3. See #2.

Heal well!  

Hanneli xoxo
on 9/19/13 1:18 am - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12

if your mouth is dry its because you need to drink more. you do NOT want o get dehydrated..

4-Jane
on 9/19/13 5:37 am - Canada
Thanks, for your post as a result I realize I have been only eating 1/4 of a cup for each meal time. And I'm really finding I have zero energy, well now I will increase amounts to 1/2 cup and see if that feels better. I'm working to get as much water in as possible as my urine was getting too yellow, and I think I'm most worried about that right now. I'm adding protein as I can. My center says no gum, not sure what your guidelines are, I do not like the chemicals in artificial sweeteners so avoid that stuff. Hope your feeling better each day and again thank you, I need to revisit my booklet
 Respectfully Jane
sabrinastrength
on 9/20/13 6:06 am - Canada
HI there, congrats on your recent surgery The first few weeks are the hardest but it does get easier.
I just had my 1mth post-op appointments and based off what they told us there (at TWH) is how I'm going to base my advice.

1. You probably should drink more water or chew on ice instead. Gum causes more air to be swallowed and will cause you to be more thirsty.

2. Sure why not! I wasn't able to fit 1/2 cup of anything on liquids for a meal but if you don't have discomfort then I wouldn't see why not.

3. I was all over the place with my protein shakes in terms of quantities and when - I still kinda am to be honest lol. It was kinda something I was constantly sipping throughout the day, but that early on it's really difficult to get all the protein in.

Highest Weight Pre-Op: 346lbs;. Surgery Weight: 330lbs; Current Weight: 204lbs
Surgery: Aug 2, 2013

Most Active
Recent Topics