COST

ArleneAnne
on 9/19/13 9:19 pm - Oakville, Canada

Greetings

Just couple of quick questions ..... approximately...what does all this cost ? ..... What does Opti cost ? ..... what do the protein supplements cost ?    Sort of thinking ahead, budget wise !

Monica M.
on 9/19/13 9:20 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

optifast is about 100 per week.

protein supplements vary widely. Why not take a trip to walmart or your pharmacy and check them out?

dont forget vitamins, etc.

ArleneAnne
on 9/19/13 9:48 pm - Oakville, Canada

TKS ..... is there any particular brand of supplement that seems to be preferred to the others ? ..... and/or any ones that should be kept away from ?

As to Vitamins .... I already take B12, Bcomplex, Calcium, Vit D, Vit C and a good multi-vitamin ..... what else should I be budgeting for ?

Monica M.
on 9/19/13 9:55 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
Protein shakes areersonal taste. They should be whey isolate tho, and low carb.

(deactivated member)
on 9/20/13 2:14 am - Straford, Canada

when you're calculating cost make sure you're subtracting saved costs.  I used to have to take high doses ASA and chondroitin/MSM/glucosamine which I don't need anymore, as well as having to use a CPAP machine which I don't have to use anymore.  When I use a protein supplement, which is rarely now but on occasion, I don't eat any or much food with it, so I save the cost of the food I would have otherwise eaten.  doesn't sound like the vitamin/calcium/B12 will be any different that what you're taking now. Have fun calculating, when you're finished you should post it here for others.  kiss

Catw
on 9/20/13 3:44 am - Arnprior, Canada

Not knowing what you are looking at your budget, there is a wide variety of things to think about, and the change will depend on what you are eating/buying now.

OptiFast, broth, SF jello, SF syrups, (depending on center if you add veggies to pre surgery diet)

No Vit C during Opti, savings there.

You will probably need a chewable multi vitamin and liquid calcium (or calcium chews) for the first couple months.  If your iron is low, you'll need to get that as well.  Some people need blood thinners or other meds for a few days/week after surgery (not sure on cost, and if you have a drug plan that covers it).

Don't stock up too much on protein powders etc, as your tastes will change post surgery. 

Don't forget the less obvious things to think about, new clothes, shoes (yep, my feet shrunk).  Possible changes in groceries, depending on who you buy for.

Dinning out is cheaper for a while (either don't go, or stick to small meals like soup).

Travel costs/parking/etc.

There is a blood test that may or may not cost you money, depends on where you get it done.

Activity memberships, optional.  Travel costs (new you, may like to travel more ;o)  )

Cathy

Yoyo4life
on 9/20/13 8:48 am - Brampton, Canada
RNY on 01/08/14

I liked that post catw,

i see you talked about blood thinning medication i will most likely need it so does anyone who also had to take it know that cost for that???

Referral sent: Aug/30/2013 Orientation: September/24/2013 Nurse Appointment: September/30/2013 Social worker Appointment: October/7/2013 Psychologist Appointment:Oct/11/13 Dietician Appointment:Oct/21/13 Nutrition Class: Oct/29/2013 Surgeons Appointment: Nov/22/2013 PATTS: December/13/2013 Surgery date: January/08/2014

jellyfishattack
on 9/20/13 11:24 am - Canada
RNY on 03/11/13

I got a prescription for 2 high doses of Vitamin K.  Four pills cost me about $85 at Smith's Pharmacy on Yonge St.  I took it to a Shopper's Drug Mart and the pharmacist was completely baffled by the Rx.  It was a one-time expense though.

Jenn.  :)

1st appointment - Feb. 23rd, 2012. RNY Dr Cyriac Mar. 11th, 2013.

Yoyo4life
on 9/20/13 12:47 pm - Brampton, Canada
RNY on 01/08/14

jellyfishattack,

is the vitamin k the same thing as the pills?? or are they two different things?

jellyfishattack
on 9/20/13 9:20 pm - Canada
RNY on 03/11/13

Do you mean is it the same stuff as in regular vitamin supplements?  The answer was yes (I was rather curious myself too), but it was prescribed at a really, really, really high dose compared to a regular supplement and I guess I didn't know what to do, so I went to the only compounding pharmacy I could think of, I knew that if they couldn't fill it, no one could.  They even compound palatably flavoured veterinary medicines there.

They did put an additional note/form on the Rx receipt that would've allowed me to claim the Rx with an insurance company - if only I'd had one.  I'll be the first to say that it was a rip off, but I viewed it as a one time expense, and just wanted to take the right stuff.  I don't think all surgeons prescribe it before surgery, they might use conventional medication, which I was also given daily in the TEGH.  I guess the Vitamin K was just extra insurance against blood clots.  But since bariatric patients are prone to getting blood clots so much so that they make you wear pressure stockings for surgery and I was given the Rx, I felt I should fill it.

Jenn.  :)

1st appointment - Feb. 23rd, 2012. RNY Dr Cyriac Mar. 11th, 2013.