NEW JOB - DO I MENTION SURGERY BEFORE I SIGN?

gwynnkitty
on 10/2/13 3:33 am - North York, Canada

I have a similar issue. I was recently part of a group of people laid off due to "restructuring" - I have an interview this week, and one next week, and a surgery date of Nov 13th.

I'm still not 100% how to deal with potential offers. Since it's a one-time issue, not a chronic issue, I suspect I'll just say, once I'm offered a position, that I'd love to take it, and then let them know that I have the surgery on Nov 13th, it's a one time issue, and shouldn't require much more than 2 weeks of healing time. I work in communications, so realistically I can work from home if necessary.

Referral to Surgeon: February 12, 2013 Appointment with Surgeon: April 24, 2013 Endoscopy: April 30, 2013 Referral sent to Bariatric Registry: May 2, 2013 Orientation Appointment: May 27, 2013 Dr Klein Appointment: June 6, 2013 Second Upper GI Series: June 11 Dr Glazer: August 12, 2013 RN/RD/SW: August 29. 2013 Follow-up With Dr Klein: September 23, 2013 Start Opti: October 23, 2013 Surgery Date: November 14, 2013 

aidan
on 10/2/13 7:54 am - Canada
Don't tell!!

Zizzler
on 10/2/13 8:22 am

I wouldn't tell them until you have the job, and even then, only what is necessary.

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

4-Jane
on 10/2/13 8:35 am - Canada

I am by nature a very private person so my gut response would be do not mention it unless of course it may increase your changes of getting the job.  Ie you have applied to a health organization and your current size may be seen as a negative,  or they have clear policies they have shared regarding being a non smoker and being an actively involved in self care to maximize good health.  Which I have heard some places are very concerned with.  Still there are legalities around what they can ask,  at one time in history women were often not hired if they were in child bearing years, and that can no longer be an issue but does it happen still?...  I still would learn towards only share what you need too,  I like to look at issues from all different angles, to gain a clearer understanding

Respectfully Jane
pink7sadie
on 10/2/13 10:34 am
Thank you all so much for the replies. Seems like most are saying "don't tell". I was head hunted for this new position, the company is small and it is a managerial position. The job is pretty much mine, I just have to agree and sign. And as a pp said, "there's nothing really to tell yet" which is absolutely true. I don't have any dates yet. My bff said the same thing.

I never intended to tell my employer (current or future) exactly what the surgery was for. But now I'm definitely leaning more towards not saying anything at all until it's absolutely necessary.

Thanks all!

REFERRED: June 19, 2013, ORIENTATION: September 23, 2013,1st SURGEON (Dr. KLEIN) APPT. October 10, 2013 RN / SW / NUT: December 20, 2013 DR. GLAZER: January 7, 2014 2nd SW / NUT: February 14, 2013, 2nd SURGEON (Dr. KLEIN) APPT. March 31, 2014, 2nd APPT. DR. GLAZER: February 4, 2015   PATTS: February 19, 2015 SURGERY: March 13, 2015

melprice
on 10/2/13 5:22 pm - Barrie, Canada

I did , its important that you be upfront and if they want you as an employee which I'm sure they will it shouldn't be an issue ! Good Luck

Onward and
Downward

on 10/2/13 8:13 pm, edited 10/2/13 8:15 pm - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

I would say no.  You don't need to mention anything.  It's none of their business if you don't want to tell.  AFTER you're hired, you can just say you have a health concern that means you have a couple of doctors appointments coming up.  And then when you get a surgery date, let them know that you have to be off for surgery.

You're pretty early out, and surgery won't be for quite a while yet.  I think you should sign and then tell them.  They aren't allowed to discriminate against you for your medical stuff, but it will be a lot harder for them to get away with discriminating against you if you tell them AFTER you sign.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Most Active
Recent Topics