anyone get ohip vsg revision after some regain?

nicholivolkoff
on 10/4/13 11:30 pm - Canada

Hello, I had a vsg in 2009, ( Barix in Detroit) got down to 150 pounds from 240. Recently, I gained 35 pounds, so I got a self paid DS,in Montreal with Dr. Gagner and lost NO WEIGHT FROM THAT AFTER 6 MONTHS NOW. So I am hoping for a re sleeve, here in Ontario. My stomach is stretched out. I should have been resleeved during the DS but I did not think I needed it, and it was expensive. Now I know it should have been  done. I am wondering if it is realistic to hope for a resleeve here in Ontario with OHIP's help. And where would I be sent to, I am in the north Brampton area. Complicated story, eh? Thanks a lot for any suggestions. All I know is these days, people are not being sent to the states anymore, there is options in Ontario but I don't know what is close to me and how to go about it.

birdiegirl
on 10/5/13 12:06 am

Hi

If it were me - my first call would be to Dr Gagner.....to have a DS and not lose any weight whatsoever is unheard of.....( unless you are eating up a storm....then no surgery will fix this)

Good luck

nicholivolkoff
on 10/5/13 12:16 am - Canada

Yes, I have told Dr. Gagner, he thinks it is too early to tell and that it would be a slow loss. But after 6 months? No, I am not eating up a storm, but my stomach is too big anyway so there is no loss. Dr. Gagner does not think I should do a vsg revision just yet, but I mean after 6 months, why would anything change later. The vsg is the powerhouse behind the ds. A ds without a tight stomach is useless to me. I had such high expectations from the DS!! I have a 100 cm common channel if anyone was wondering.

birdiegirl
on 10/5/13 12:40 am

Funny....but I think it is the switch portion that is the powerhouse....( malabsorption)....the VSG is the restriction which can be eaten around...

I feel for you....that is alot of surgery and money to have zero loss.....

Have you tried going with a very strict low carb high protein approach?........maybe this would kick start your loss.....something just doesn't sound right here Michelle

nicholivolkoff
on 10/5/13 12:46 am - Canada

Yes I have tried the low carb thing, can't stick with it for more than 3 weeks. But it is not like I am drinking milkshakes all day. I eat less than a normal person, I expected some loss here. But anyway, still wondering about vsg revisions and if anyone has done that with ohip. Thanks for the sympathy! I just want to move on to the next plan of attack.

Karen M.
on 10/5/13 12:46 am - Mississauga, Canada
The true power of the DS is the malabsorption. (Why oh why can I not spell this??!!). I'd be very concerned and disappointed too with no loss after 6 months. Having said that, it sounds as though Dr. Gagner may need to do some further investigation to figure out what's going on, or not going on as the case may be.

Have you posted on the DS forum for assistance? They're a bunch of very knowledgeable people and may have better advice with respect to eating regimen, next steps, etc.

Good luck and hang in there.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

nicholivolkoff
on 10/5/13 12:50 am - Canada

Not a lot of people responded to me on the DS forum, I don't think they want to hear about a DS failing anyone. They did suggest obvious things like more exercise and les carbs, but to me, this is a failure of a surgery. I need the combo of tight sleeve and malabsorption to get ahead. Without the sleeve, nothing. My sleeve was stretched out before the ds, in my opinion the surgeon should have known that a resleeve is absolutely needed. But, now we are here. Thanks.

(deactivated member)
on 10/5/13 3:18 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
From what the vet DS patients have said they have a larger sleeve as they need it to get in the required calories since they malabsorb so much. Not sure if the cc you have is normal for a 2 part DS. Are you eating high fat and high protein? That seems to be the secret to the success of many DS patients. With only 35 lbs to lose I can see it being slower but would have expected something after 6 months.

As for your question about resleeving, I have not seen anybody on this board have it so e or even attempt to have it done. You may need a referral to DR Hong in Hamilton as he is the only Ontario surgeon doing DS. Perhaps have your GP refer you directly to h outside the registry for strictly a consultation. You obviously wouldn't qualify to go through the registry as your bmi is likely too low so a referral to his general practice might get you some answers.
Most Active
Recent Topics