Follow up with surgeon

EternalEx
on 10/12/13 4:39 pm - Canada

I have a 4 month follow up booked with Dr. Hagen this week - wondering if it's really necessary? This isn't at the clinic, but at his office. I have been doing extremely well and feel that I would be wasting his time (and mine too). Wondering if anyone else has found it beneficial to see him post-op? I saw him at 1 month and it was a super quick "you're doing great, keep it up" kinda a visit.

Nanato2
on 10/12/13 9:21 pm, edited 10/12/13 9:23 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Yes you are doing wonderful now but these follow up are important for you in the long run especially when you get further out and possibly some of those old habits try and creep back into your life cus it can happen. I thought I was doing great and I am at 8 months and now findings it a little harder and am thankful for my follow up even if it is 15 minutes with someone cus I can discuss what is going on with me and hopefully get some helpful tips.

Also the follow appointments are very important to the program cus somebody on another board was told to tell patients to go to appts. She said if the government doesnt have enough follow ups returning they will cancel the bariatric program...if no one is going in for them to have statistics...they will stop it. 

If Dr. Hagen thought it was a waste of time he wouldn't have booked the appointment and what is a few minutes out of your day to attend a follow up to make sure you continue in the right direction on your journey.   

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

reenie33
on 10/13/13 12:46 am

Im on the fence with this one. I agree it is important to go to follow-up appts, yet I do feel like Im rushed in and out at the surgeons. And it is more than a few minutes out of our day, for us that travel hundreds of miles. I think that was the point  ...why bother if it is just to be rushed in and out, especially if you are travelling. Maybe Norma, you could call the clinic and explain your situation and they can advise

KerryF.
on 10/13/13 1:22 am - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

I totally agree with the comment "government doesnt have enough follow ups returning they will cancel the bariatric program...if no one is going in for them to have statistics...they will stop it."

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

Hennagirliegirl
on 10/13/13 2:40 am - Canada

I support following the program. if you recall, prior to the registry being created people were waiting more than 5 yrs, or going to the US for bypass, with no follow up support etc.....

We are fortunate that the benefits of a comprehensive program has been created and supported. There will be statistics kept. The funding will or will mot continue based on compliance rates.

Everyone was aware of the expected committment at the beginning of their process. The driving distance, time from your day, time off of work etc..we're all factors that should have been part of each of our decisions.

Perhaps if you ask Dr Hagen when you see him if it's necessary he will say yay or nay.

I also think keeping yourself connected to the program is important for long term success ( at least for me it will be, not trying to speak for others)

Terri

gwynnkitty
on 10/13/13 2:54 am - North York, Canada

As someone who didn't have access to her surgeon for follow-up care the first time around, I implore you to keep these appointments. It might not feel like it's necessary right now, but believe me when I tell you, this is a critical part of your long-term success. Something you say might spark a thought in his brain and have him ask you questions about a potential issue - or vice versa. 

This is for your long-term health and success; YOU ARE WORTH THIS. :) Go to the appointment, and revel in how well you're doing. :)

Referral to Surgeon: February 12, 2013 Appointment with Surgeon: April 24, 2013 Endoscopy: April 30, 2013 Referral sent to Bariatric Registry: May 2, 2013 Orientation Appointment: May 27, 2013 Dr Klein Appointment: June 6, 2013 Second Upper GI Series: June 11 Dr Glazer: August 12, 2013 RN/RD/SW: August 29. 2013 Follow-up With Dr Klein: September 23, 2013 Start Opti: October 23, 2013 Surgery Date: November 14, 2013 

EternalEx
on 10/13/13 6:06 am - Canada
Thanks everyone, i appreciate the feedback. Just to clarify - the "statistics" used for follow up come from the clinic, not the surgeon, i have and do plan to keep attending my clinic appts.
Most Active
Recent Topics