HELP - Lightheaded and passed out >> UPDATE as of Oct 22

Dar_Mab
on 10/17/13 10:09 pm, edited 10/22/13 2:16 am - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13

--  -Okay.  I have had zero issues or complications since surgery.  However this past week and a half I have periods in the morning where I am light headed and a "flush" feeling comes over me like I am hot and going to pass out.  I have actually passed out twice. Once this past Monday.  Ended up on the kitchen floor -  ow... my bum hurts!  And then this morning I passed out in the kitchen and landed on the kitchen floor on my back - ow-- now I have a goose egg on the back of my head.  And while in the shower this morning, earlier, I had the light flush feeling come over me. 

It has only been in the mornings.   Not when I first get out of bed... and doesn't seem to have anything to do with just standing up quickly.  It seems to happen while I am standing and have been standing making breakfast which is after I shower and get dressed.   But coincidentally I did notice it is before I eat.    I feel fine after I eat.   

I know I have been stressed lately due to my separation and experiencing stress headaches but I don't think that has anything to do with it.  But I have kept up my regimented proper eating and exercise.      I usually get 1000 - 1150 calories per day in, 100 gr of protein, keep carbs below 100 and only have complex carbs from whole grains or veggies.

When I went to my Dr's in early sept I was low in Vit A, Megnesium and Iron.  Iron was at 11 which is the very bottom of the scale.   I now take 2 Iron tablets a day.   My blood pressure is low  - usually about 90 / 60 - but that is the norm for me before I was obese and since I lost all the weight.     My blood sugars were perfect and I don't take any diabetes medicine at all anymore.

I have a call out to the head nurse at the Guelph Bariatric Clinic so hopefully Audrey will call me back today.   My family dr is away until mid November.  She wanted me to do repeat blood tests next week - which I will do - to look at the above items.     I guess I could make an appt with another dr in the medical group but then I have to start all over again bringing them up to speed on the bariatric process etc.

So... was wondering if this signs of low iron (Anemia), low blood sugar, low blood pressure?  or what the heck else it is?  

Thoughts?

HW: 305   SW: 272  CW: 155  Height: 5'4"

Loaf
on 10/17/13 10:17 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/31/14

Sounds like low blood sugar.  Maybe you should have a small glass of Juice before your shower.

gwynnkitty
on 10/17/13 10:40 pm - North York, Canada

Sometimes if I have a hot shower, when I get out I get really flushed/feel like I'm going to pass out - and it generally has to do with a rapid change in blood pressure. Maybe your BP is fluctuating?

I hope you get some answers - and for goodness' sake, take care of you! (((HUGS)))

Referral to Surgeon: February 12, 2013 Appointment with Surgeon: April 24, 2013 Endoscopy: April 30, 2013 Referral sent to Bariatric Registry: May 2, 2013 Orientation Appointment: May 27, 2013 Dr Klein Appointment: June 6, 2013 Second Upper GI Series: June 11 Dr Glazer: August 12, 2013 RN/RD/SW: August 29. 2013 Follow-up With Dr Klein: September 23, 2013 Start Opti: October 23, 2013 Surgery Date: November 14, 2013 

Robyn R.
on 10/17/13 10:41 pm - Bowmanville, Canada

It is definitely a sign of all 3.  The emerg nurse in me is telling you to please get checked right away.  If your doc is out of town then do they have partners that would see you?  If not, go to your local walk in clinic for assessment.

Referral Summer 2012, Orientation June 10/13 HRRH, Dr Hagen July 3/13, Dr Glazer, RN/RD/SW September 19/13, Dr Hagen October 10/13, Surgery January 21/14

http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/370613/tickers/robynrne2b9ddd6b097c6ab0185ec57651b7f22.png?1392080601

HW 290  Opti Start Weight 280.9  Surgery Weight 264.8 CW 207

Leanne1
on 10/17/13 10:57 pm - Newmarket, Canada

I have experienced this before and ended up in emerge (it was happening at work mostly; I work in a hospital). I wasn't really eating alot of fruits or drinking juices. My boss checked my blood sugar level one day and it was 3.4 AFTER I ate. The ER nurse made me drink 3 small juices and it went back up, it was 9.1 but I felt better! It eventually evened out thru the morning. 

I was in the shower one day and started to feel dizzy and like I was going to pass out.. I got out and had some juice and sat down for a few mins and I was ok.

All my "spells" were in the mornings. Don't forget that our bodies have no fuel first thing in the morning since we haven't had anything to eat since the night before. 

Now, before I do anything in the morning, I make sure to eat something or drink water or juice. 

Change your routine a little bit in the morning and eat or drink BEFORE you shower and get dressed. It may take some getting used to but you will likely notice a difference.

Also, keep an eye on your BP! I have a friend from work that also had wls and her BP is in the same range as you. Her resting pulse has been 38, and 52 (just to name a couple that she said) and she has been fainting and getting blinding migraines. Her dr has sent her for testing and she has to wear a monitor and one of the tests is to check her thyroid.

I am actually going thru some low iron issues right now. I was at the dr yesterday as a matter of fact. My iron # is also 11 BUT my hemoglobin is 122, which at this point is ok. I don't show any signs of low iron and I have quite a bit of energy (sometimes it's overwhelming, even for me). I started iron supplements yesterday. 

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Patm
on 10/17/13 11:26 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Does sound like low blood sugar. I hope you are all right. Let us know what you find out.

sublimechick
on 10/18/13 12:10 am - Canada

wow I am very sorry to hear about this!! THat sounds awful girl.

I would assume low iron but you said it was low-normal range right? Maybe you should go to your surgeon and request a proper blood test...like potassium etc. Might be something like that?

Or else not enough calories?

hang in there!!

Referral sent Sept 2012 -Info Session -January 7 2013.  Surgeon (Dr. Huynh-HRRH) February 5 2013. Dr. Glazer, Nurse, SW and NUT -> March 25 2013, May 1st, Surgeon, Patts-June 6. SURGERY JUNE 26 2013!! 100 lbs gone in 4 months!

Diminishing Dawn
on 10/18/13 12:47 am - Windsor, Canada

It is not unusual for some people to have low blood sugar in the morning. 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Corinna H.
on 10/18/13 5:59 am - Guelph, Canada
RNY on 07/03/13
A friend of mine who is also an rny patient had something that sounds similar. She has low iron and had to try different brands in order to find one that worked.

HW: 293.4 SW: 261.4 CW: 161 Referral - Dec 5/12.  Orientation: Feb 21/13. Upper GI and Ab u/s March 7/13. RN, NUT, SW Apr 8/13. 1st appt Dr. Klein Apr 11/13. fu NUT May 2/13. Dr. Glazer May 27/13. 2nd appt Dr. Klein June 3/13. Opti June 19/13. PATTS June 20/13 . RNY - July 3, 2013   

Mandalious
on 10/18/13 6:27 am - Canada
RNY on 12/03/13

Blood sugar.. you my love just decribe what my mom suffered from forever

Low blood sugar, also with low iron in there.

SMALLLLLL shot of OJ and some liquid palafer for iron every day and you should be feeling sunshine!!

But talk to a doc.  I just look smart :)

Referral May 17 '13 / Orientation June 17 '13 / Meeting w Dr Hagen June 26 '13 / RN,RD,SW July 31 '13 / Dr.Glazer Sept 3 '13/ Sleep Study Sept 5 '13 /2nd app w Dr Hagen Sept 16 '13 / F/U w  Dr Glazer  Sept 23 '13 / PRATTS Nov 14 '13/ Surgery Dec 3rd '13

Most Active
Recent Topics