Opti blues

kathycantwait
on 10/29/13 12:39 pm - Canada
I'm not doing so great today, I have never been this hungry in my life. I know it is all in my mind but I don't know how to get past this. I have 16 more days of this and I don't think I will get through today. The few people I have told think it is a big joke and keep talking about all the yummy foods I can't have. I'm sorry that I am whiney but I needed to vent.
I thought this would be so much easier, I now have a new found respect for everyone that has done this without caving in but I really don't get how people get through this. Any suggestions would be welcome

KerryF.
on 10/29/13 12:48 pm - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

lots of water, always have a bottle of water beside you it's something you are putting in your mouth and it keeps you feeling full.

YOU CAN DO THIS! 

And anyone is who teasing you about foods you can't eat  should not be in your day while going through this. you need support not people trying to kill your willpower.

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

4-Jane
on 10/29/13 12:54 pm - Canada

My tricks were going to bed early ,drinking gallons of water and realizing that if I dared to eat anything my body would have to start all over again.  I'm sorry your having a hard time I hope it gets better, hang in there and focuss on getting through just this day, tell yourself tomorrow's struggles may or may not be different than today's 

Respectfully Jane
Katie M.
on 10/29/13 1:06 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Oh boy do I remember the Opti blues. I think I whined about it every single day I was on it! Feeling like this is an impossible feat is totally normal but trust me, you can do it. And also trust me when I say the feeling you'll have when you get to the hospital and know you completed your task without cheating...it's one in a million. When you wake up and the surgeon says your liver looks great - it feels so good, and you'll feel so accomplished! It's all going to be worth it in the end. I know it feels never-ending right now but you can do it. Drink more water than you think is possible, have your allowed foods (broth really helped me when I needed savoury instead of sweet) and try to keep your mind busy with reading, a hobby, tv. I had to zone out in front of the tv every night to keep myself from going bonkers. 

And those people who are teasing you - I get it. I have some family who waved all kinds of stuff in my face, thinking they were being funny but not realising how close they actually were to the ends of their lives, lol. Ignore them. You are way stronger than that. This is not a joke, it's incredibly hard and you are doing it! Minute by minute, you are sticking to the plan and the payoff is going to be amazing, trust me! :)

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Emjaye
on 10/29/13 1:07 pm - Canada

Hang in there - you can do it!  I am halfway thru my third week and I am so sick of jello!!!!  Have been feeling hungry off and on, usually when it is logical - ie meal times, and if I get a feeling of woozy ness in between meals, I sip from my thermos of broth.

Make sure you are having everything you can -  your broth, jello, Opti ( I alway max the water for the chocolate and add cocoa powder for better flavour)  and lots of water - flavoured  - I've been using Nestea individual tubes of splenda'd ice tea.  Also lots of lemon zinger from Celestial Seasonings with splenda, Lemon Lift with splenda, many variations of Torani flavour syrups in the Opti. 

Short term sacrifice for long term gain - or more precisely long term weight loss.

I really want sandwiches, but I know I won't be able to for a long while.  I could list a few other items that have really made my mouth water over the last 2 weeks, but I am pushing them out of my head and replacing the thought with something else.  Fear of being humiliated if the surgeon opens me up on Monday and  he says he can't operate!

I'm using the 100 days til Sochi Olympics as a coutdown - I know between now and then, things will be tough, eating will be more experimental than enjoyable, and boy am I not looking forward to pain, discomfort, dumping or barfing - but time passes and when it comes time to sit down and watch the opening games, boy will I have come a long way!  And be all set to be inspired by all those atheletes, and this time, I'll be able to do something about it, rather than just wish I could walk and enjoy being active!.

Breathe, chew gum, reorganize the tunes on your ipod - anything - just hang on.

all the best!!!!  you can do it!

Melanie

Orientation Jan 2/13, Social Worker Feb 27, Nurse Practitioner Apr 29, Nutrition Class May 28, Dietician Jun 18, Psychologist Jul 9, Surgeon Aug 2, Opti starts Oct 14, Pre-Admission Oct 16,  Surgery: Nov 4/13

lovelylady2222
on 10/29/13 3:25 pm, edited 10/29/13 3:25 pm

This is a point I am curious about too.  if I could drink fast for 16 days I would have done it already:(

Sunny123
on 10/29/13 8:36 pm
RNY on 12/05/13

I haven't started OPTI yet but I want you to know you have the support of everyone on this board! I cannot imagine how you feel with people waving food under your nose...

Keep your eye on the prize, you're so close!! You can do it and like Kate said, you will feel like a million bucks knowing you came through this end of the bargain with a clear conscience!

Your time will be here before you know it and we will all be here cheering you on!!!

Jo

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

newpossibilities
on 10/29/13 11:45 pm - Oakville, Canada
RNY on 11/19/13
I feel your pain. I'm on day 8 of opti with 20 more to go. Thankfully the headaches have gone away but I always want what the family is having for dinner. I've been taking advantage of the broth, have it every night for 'dinner' and it has helped. I look forward to the change in flavour and I add extra water so it's a really big cup.

It's not perfect but its better than nothing. As soon as that is done I brush my teeth, wash my face etc to get ready for bed. That helps to move me past dinner and thinking of food. The evenings are the worst for me so anything to keep my mind off of food is good for me.

Although it feels torturous now, I'm sure it will all fade to a distant memory in the few weeks after surgery.

One day at a time.....

Referral Mar 1, 2013 Orientation Apr 17, NP May 2, SW May 6, Nut May 6, Dietitian June 6, Psych June 18, meet surgeon July 5, PATTS Oct 8, Surgery Nov 19th

nadiras
on 10/30/13 2:10 am - Canada

I feel ya. I am on day 6 and I admit its tough. I have three children and constantly need to prepare snacks, especially for my three yr old. Its tempting to take just that one bite but I stop myself everytime. I was lucky and found some sugar free popsicles on reduced at the Low Carb grocery in Markham, that has helped when I crave something else.

I know its hard with the brother since not everyone likes it. I dont like it myself so I try the veggies and jello. Normally I not a fan of green pepper but I have been snacking on it raw. Drinking my water and cryatal light has helped also. One thing I have done is clean, with three kids cleaning is always needed. Anything I can do to distract me. Walks with my dog or neighbour. I warned my family and friends that if they teased me with food I would kick their butts.

Feel free to message me at any time and I can send you my cell number, we can help motivate each other. Good luck I know we can both get through this.

Orientation May 2013, Surgeon( Dr.Lindsay) July 17, Rescheduled RN/NUT/ SW and got lucky with a cancellation July 18, Dr.Linsday 2nd appt Aug.19, Dr.Lindsay was overbooked switched to Dr.Starr on Oct.8, Surgery Dr.Starr Nov.8,2013

nadiras
on 10/30/13 2:11 am - Canada
Most Active
Recent Topics