Anti-depressants after RNY.

Jodi77
on 11/4/13 4:30 am - Scarborough, Canada
RNY on 02/05/13
Ive been on Effexor since the birth of my first son 9 years ago. I heard thru the grapevine that these type of slow/timed released drugs dont work properly in our systems after surgery. I asked at my 3 month followup and ended up seeing a Bariatric Psychiatrist for a "medication consult". They told me that if I wasnt suicidal or homicidal there was no need for me to be on these drugs for this amout of time. My own doctor told me some people are just deficient in certain things and need a little help. At the Bariatric psychiatrist's advice I switched to Prozac for a week and then got off then all together quite easily. But im not doing well without them. Im going thru a divorce, my husband is gay and things have been really really tough. I have spoke to my own doctor about this but she doesnt know what to perscribe that will work in my new system. Anyone have any suggestions I can reaearch?

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...” 
 Dr. Seuss

Orientation: March 2012      Blah Blah Blah     Surgery:  February 5, 2013

Katie M.
on 11/4/13 4:43 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Sorry to hear things have been so stressful - that's an awful lot of emotional turmoil. Could you try the regular Effexor that isn't extended-release, if that's what was working for you before? As far as I know as long as it's not an extended-release variation of an antidepressant you can try it. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!) You could also try asking a pharmacist for a list of meds that are not extended-release for you to take to your regular doctor. I agree that some people just need a little boost, and antidepressants aren't meant for people only suffering a crisis like feeling suicidal. 

I hope things get easier for you soon, sounds like a very tough time.

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Jodi77
on 11/4/13 4:57 am - Scarborough, Canada
RNY on 02/05/13
The effexor that isnt time released has been discontinued. But I like your idea about asking the pharmacist what IS available. Thank you.

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...” 
 Dr. Seuss

Robyn R.
on 11/4/13 5:03 am - Bowmanville, Canada

There are lots available to help you out.  If your pharmacist does not know, ask a vet (I am not kidding).  Animals can not take time released meds and they use the same drugs that we do.  I have friends that are vets and have actually cared for patients in my 20+ year nursing career that had their meds compounded by a vet pharmacy after bariatric surgery so they can take them.  Just another option out there.

Referral Summer 2012, Orientation June 10/13 HRRH, Dr Hagen July 3/13, Dr Glazer, RN/RD/SW September 19/13, Dr Hagen October 10/13, Surgery January 21/14

http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/370613/tickers/robynrne2b9ddd6b097c6ab0185ec57651b7f22.png?1392080601

HW 290  Opti Start Weight 280.9  Surgery Weight 264.8 CW 207

CBarnes11
on 11/4/13 5:19 am - Port Hope, Canada
RNY on 12/19/13

I'm pre-op, but I asked a similar question here a week or so ago. 

I take Cymbalta and was told by a few people here that they either opened the capsules and put them in applesauce or pudding and within a few weeks from surgery were swallowing them as usual.

I was on Effexor prior to switching to Cymbalta,

RenaDawn
on 11/4/13 5:20 am - Canada

I just started Pristiq which is a metabolized version of Effexor. From my understanding it is absorbed more quickly into your body. Perhaps check with your Dr. about that one. I really like it and it didn't take 4-6 weeks to take effect like Effexor or Cipralex.

Orientation June, 2013. Surgery May, 2014 at TWH with Dr. Jackson.
HW - 296  SW - 278 CW - 214

kayakgirl
on 11/4/13 6:02 am - Canada

I will be taking sublingual Cipralex.

Initial referral: March 21, 2013; Orientation: April 26, 2013 (OWMC); Nurse Practitioner: July 10, 2013; Nut/Beh: July 15, 2013; Pre-op Class: September 18, 2013; Internist: September 18, 2013; Surgeon: October 1, 2013; Surgery: November 25, 2013 (Dr. Yelle)

cdnmacgirl
on 11/4/13 6:26 am - Canada

Hi! I'm pre op and was on effexor for 13 years before switching finally to cymbalta. I LOVE cymbalta. I was told I would be able to continue with the cymbalta (I have a chemical imbalance, so I'll need it life long). It's definitely one you'll want to look into...good luck with your journey!

andrea

Referral sent Feb 27, 2013 | Orientation in Guelph May 16, 2013 | First set of appointments August 19, 2013 | pre op food class August | Final sign off on Nut/SW/Nurse Jan 29 | Post Op class April 7, 2014 | Surgery with Dr Jules July 16, 2014 in Guelph

Jodi77
on 11/4/13 6:37 am - Scarborough, Canada
RNY on 02/05/13

http://www.currentpsychiatry.com/fileadmin/cp_archive/pdf/10 01/1001CP_Article1.pdf

I found this article that basically lists medications, saying Effexor is one of the best absorbed after gastric bypass.  So confusing!

Dr. Seuss

coffeebean2003
on 11/5/13 9:45 am - Peterborough, Canada

I am on a ****tail of antidepressants (have been for many, many years) and one is time release. I either had to crush the pills or cut in half to cancel the time release part of the drug. I used to take that pill all in the morning but now 2.5 weeks post-op I have to split my dose in half and spread out the time between doses. I started cutting them in half before surgery so I felt comfortable with the new method.

Most Active
Recent Topics