Anti-depressants after RNY.

Jodi77
on 11/4/13 4:31 am - Scarborough, Canada
RNY on 02/05/13
Ive been on Effexor since the birth of my first son 9 years ago. I heard thru the grapevine that these type of slow/timed released drugs dont work properly in our systems after surgery. I asked at my 3 month followup and ended up seeing a Bariatric Psychiatrist for a "medication consult". They told me that if I wasnt suicidal or homicidal there was no need for me to be on these drugs for this amout of time. My own doctor told me some people are just deficient in certain things and need a little help. At the Bariatric psychiatrist's advice I switched to Prozac for a week and then got off then all together quite easily. But im not doing well without them. Im going thru a divorce, my husband is gay and things have been really really tough. I have spoke to my own doctor about this but she doesnt know what to perscribe that will work in my new system. Anyone have any suggestions I can reaearch?

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...” 
 Dr. Seuss

Orientation: March 2012      Blah Blah Blah     Surgery:  February 5, 2013

DeborahV54
on 11/4/13 4:57 am - Mississauga, ON, Canada
Your story sounds a lot like mine. I was on Effexor as well and I was switched to something else. When I get home I will message you as to what it is as I can't remember the name of it. It works very well.

Deborah

Jodi77
on 11/4/13 5:11 am - Scarborough, Canada
RNY on 02/05/13
Thank you Deborah. I would really appreciate that.

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...” 
 Dr. Seuss

DeborahV54
on 11/4/13 5:50 am - Mississauga, ON, Canada
The name is Cipralex. I have had no problems with this medication. You will have to ween off the Effexor and add in the Cipralex slowly till you are at your right dose. I actually take less on the Cipralex than when I was on the Effexor. Hope all goes well for you. Take care.

karensortafairytale
on 11/4/13 7:09 am
I have been told that I can continue to take my Effexor after surgery but that we might have to up my dosage. My surgeon and NP agree on this as well as my family doctor. Not sure why your centre is hiving you different info. I'm through TWH
Zizzler
on 11/4/13 7:20 am

My pharmacist told me I could take my Prozac by emptying the contents into a small amount of apple juice.  I would think applesauce, sf pudding would also work.  If you liked Effexor though and it worked for you then maybe something as close to that as possible?  I have been on antidepressants continually for over a decade now to prevent relapse so I do not understand why they would say it is only for suicidal people.  That is just plain not true.  Plus I do not think a week is long enough to wean yourself off an antidepressant you've been taking for 9 years, of course you will not feel good. when I went off them before it was over a period of months, not a week. See your family doctor as soon as you can to discuss other options and let him or her know what the psychiatrist said - it really ticks me off that a professional would say something so completely false. Good luck and come back and tell us how things went.

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

Leslie W.
on 11/4/13 7:42 am - Cobourg, Canada

I went thru TWH and was on effexor. The NP recommended switching to something else. Was on a small dose so decided to slowly go off. By the time I saw the Psychiatrist he told me it was not necessary to go off or switch. Think you jut have to closely monitor your mood as it is a slow release if you are taking the XR as the dose may need adjusting.

Referral: August 2010 Orientation TWH: May 25, 2011  NP: June 8/11, f/u sleep clinic June 7, abd u/s June 14, SW: June 28/11  Nutrition Class: July 5/11, Dietician Aug 09, Psychologist Aug 25 Surgeon Sept 16th Surgery Date: Oct 11/11 HW:287, Opti wt: 260 SW: 242
My Angel is Sheri TK   
Needanewbeginning
on 11/4/13 8:57 am - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I am so sorry to hear all that your going through. I use Wellbutrin, it is extended but for us RNY ers it works well for me. 

Annette

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Pamela.S.
on 11/4/13 10:03 am - Canada

I'm upset to hear that a psychiatrist would say that you only need anti depressants if you're suicidal.  No wonder there is so much stigma to mental illness.  I have been off and on anti-depressants for more than 10 years.  I should have been on them way before that!  I tried going off them in 2011 - I was taking 150 mg Welbutrin and 100 mg Zoloft.  I weaned off the Zoloft first and was ok, but when I went off the Welbutrin, things were not good.  My mood wasn't good and I felt like I was PMSing all the time.  Unfortunately during this process, my daughter who was 22 at the time was diagnosed with cancer.  Everyone agreed that I was a much better person on my meds than I am when I'm off them.  I believe that I will need medication for the rest of my life, and I'm ok with that.  If you were a diabetic, you would take insulin.  If only I had gone beyond the stigma of thinking I should be able to control everything, my life could have been so much better.

Hang in there and maybe someone should give a lesson to that doctor!  If I have to see him, I'll be giving him a piece of my mind!

Referral Sept/13, changed centres to HRRH - Orientation Mar 24/14.  Feb 5, 2015 - SURGERY!!!! HW 286.4 SW 264

Jodi77
on 11/4/13 10:36 am - Scarborough, Canada
RNY on 02/05/13
Thank you for saying that.

Dr. Seuss

Most Active
Recent Topics