Nausea and gagging

michelle153
on 11/5/13 11:24 am

I am 6 months post RNY and down almost 80 lbs (yay!) everyday for maybe the last 4 months I have almost "waves" of nausea that hit me at any given time, I have not been able to determine a specific food that may be causing this or any trigger for that matter...the nausea gets to the point of me gagging uncontrollably for about 10-15 minutes ( never producing vomit, just gagging). I spoke with my surgeon and he determined it was not an ulcer which I initially thought it may be, unfortunately he could not give me an answer as to what my little pouch is up to! This causes me quite a substantial amount of embarrassment not only when I am out in public but also at home and work. 

Has anyone else had this happen and how did/do you control it?

thanks,

Michelle

GP Referral Nov 29, 2012...HRRH Orientation April 8 2013..1st meeting with Dr. Sohi, SW, RN, RD  April 12, 2013...Dr Glazer April 22 (No Sleep Test)...2nd meeting with Dr Sohi April 23,2013...Started Optifast April 23...PATTS April 30...RNY Surgery May 3...  

Nerak
on 11/5/13 1:21 pm - Canada

Michelle I am wondering if it might be a medication or possibly dehydration? Hope you can figure it out!

Nerak

Surgery date is Oct. 17th, 2013 in Ottawa. I was referred to the clinic in September 2012. The person performing my surgery is Dr Amy Neville. 

LittleMiss2013
on 11/5/13 8:08 pm - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

Request a scope so they can have a  look and see  what's going on to rule out a developing stricture maybe. Could it be lactose intolerance or a sensitivity to gluten?

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Catw
on 11/5/13 10:14 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Keep pushing to get this looked into.  Does this happen shortly after eating or a while after eating?  If it's a while after eating, try eating something simple, like a cracker and see if that helps.  I'm not saying it's the same thing, but it sounds similar to what I used to get when pregnant (pre-wls).  And if I ate something small and bland, it would help it.  It seems that it was an issue with too much acid in my stomach from not enough food.  I was eventually put on Zantac for the acid, and didn't have the symptoms any more.

If it does end up being the cause, you may need to start taking something like prevacid.

Good luck.

Cathy

zillah
on 11/5/13 10:16 pm

Maybe you could take your food diary to the dietitian at the clinic you go to and see what she has to say.  Your problem could be food related and she is an expert on food and bariatric pouches.

merry1
on 11/6/13 4:41 am - Canada

It sounds rather extreme to me, maybe go back to the surgeon or phone your bariatric clinic right away.  it must be so uncomfortable! Yikes!  They must know of something to help out.  Have you ever tried taking a tums?  I find if I take a tums at the onset of any discomfort it seems to help a lot...

Most Active
Recent Topics