50lbs lighter and a few questions

hockeydad2013
on 11/6/13 11:54 pm - Canada

weighed myself this am, and I am down 50.2 lbs.I am still having trouble with the proteins. Not the powder or drinks but trying to include it in each meal. Breakfast is normally a yogurt and protein drink.  lunch it has been soup but trying to go more to protein to fill me up. Supper has been ok but I think my portions might be a little to big.

Also my surgery was October 11, when can I start going to the gym and lifting weights or doing machines, or at least just riding the bike or eleptical machines.

Thanks for all the help and positive feedback in the past. I love the site. Just wish I was a better cook,

(deactivated member)
on 11/7/13 12:23 am, edited 11/7/13 12:23 am - Straford, Canada

Congrats on your early success! angry

I believe I was told I should wait 4-6 weeks before doing any lifting more than 20-30 pounds but since I had my GB out two weeks after RNY it was longer for me.  

Food wise I found the first proteins I could take in and "enjoy" were tuna packed in oil (the one packed in water was too dense for me, the oil made it moister), poached eggs (which were a pain to learn how to do but once I did I can do them in my sleep now) and toupee ham heated on the BBQ (if you're unfamiliar with it just google it, its a precooked ham package that just needs heating to eat).  Fish didn't sit well for quite some time (other than tuna) and it took a long time to have steak without a battle to not  want to get rid of it!  Baked or roasted chicken was also an early positive experience, swiss chalet became my go to restaurant, my wife and I could share a quarter chicken (which was funny as I used to eat the half chicken with rib combo)! 

allrecipes.com is full of recipe videos that show step by step how to cook the recipe, they send me an email every day with ideas and there are often videos included.  If you're inclined to learn that way.  Good luck, heal well!  

Patm
on 11/7/13 12:59 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Congratulations on the weight loss.

At this point should you not be off liquids? You might try some soft meats instead of soups. Unless the soups are more like stews they will not fill you up at all.

As for portions. It should fit into a one cup measure. Eat the protein first then if room anything else.

Nerak
on 11/7/13 3:22 am - Canada

I read lots of people eating these "pepperrettes" but when I saw them at Walmart they are full of chemicals, fat and seem kind of unappealing. I am finding having at least one smoothie as snack helps boost my protein also having hot chocoloate made with cocoa/truvia and water with added skim milk powder (actually, skim milk powder can be added to smoothies and puddings etc to boost protein). I also like beans and tofu ground beef in spaghetti sauce. It's the Yves brand you can find anywhere. Lastly, making dips like feta cheese and roasted red peppers, and hot pepper is good or cannelli beans. I also make lentil soup. Anyway - try some of these things! Congrats on your weight loss!

Nerak

PS I add Greek yogourt to my smoothie to boost the protein. 

Surgery date is Oct. 17th, 2013 in Ottawa. I was referred to the clinic in September 2012. The person performing my surgery is Dr Amy Neville. 

G_mama_d
on 11/7/13 6:10 am - North Bay, Canada
After my son had the rny he ate a lot of the tins of flavored tuna, chili spice, lemon pepper etc. found them to be a good size and good protien.

RNY - Dec 18/2013

HW- 333 lbs. Approved for Surgery- 285.4 SW- 272.  GW-160-180

Most Active
Recent Topics