Stairs while recovering

Sunny123
on 11/8/13 6:31 am
RNY on 12/05/13

I live in a nice old century home.

The staircase in my home is straight with the curve near the top.

I am wondering if I should find another room to set up as a bedroom downstairs for when I come home. Can you share if you had issues with stairs coming home from the hospital?

Thanking you for your insight.

Jo

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Katie M.
on 11/8/13 7:08 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

I went to stay with my parents right after surgery and they live in an old red brick Victorian - which meant stairs that are kind of steep. I had no problem with them, I just needed to stop and take a 15 second break about halfway up. The stairs ended up becoming my challenge, if I could go up without stopping I knew I was doing better :) Probably you'll be able to handle them, just make sure you have someone to stand behind you in case you need a hand. If you're on your own then maybe set up a bedroom downstairs just in case, but even two days after surgery I didn't really have any issues with them :) 

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Sunny123
on 11/8/13 7:12 am
RNY on 12/05/13
Thanks Kate. This is great info to have.

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Nerak
on 11/8/13 7:30 am - Canada

Hi Sunny, 

I have stairs to deal with at home (also a century house) - and really this wasn't a problem but I did rest a lot the first few days home with just short walkabouts in the house. It seems like everyone is really different this way but I definitely needed rest and also had help (my daughter and son).  But as the last reply said - we get better so fast. 

Nerak

Surgery date is Oct. 17th, 2013 in Ottawa. I was referred to the clinic in September 2012. The person performing my surgery is Dr Amy Neville. 

Sunny123
on 11/8/13 7:33 am
RNY on 12/05/13

Thank you for the reply!

I was wondering as the info sheet I filled out asked how many stairs we have. 

Appreciate your help (again)!

Jo

Most Active
Recent Topics