Issues with binge eating a year after surgery

Stefanie M.
on 11/10/13 1:56 am - Canada

Hi everyone. I was just diagnosed with depression and an eating disorder relatively close to anorexia.  I was just looking for anyone who has experienced uncontrollable bingeing because I need some people to talk to.

thanks. 

DeidreB
on 11/10/13 2:48 am

I have had 9 episodes of depression since my late teens and take meds/have a therapist/exercise/use a 10000lux light box/meditate to manage it.

Depression is not uncommon after WLS, so its good that you've been diagnosed.  Check out the CANMAT Guidelines for managing depression (google).  There's also a couple of great websites that offer CBT modules (university based) that you can work through on your own time.  Moodgym and LivingLifeToTheFull.

Most hospitals offer Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction courses for free or low cost because there's a huge amount of evidence supporting mindfulness/meditation as a way to manage depression, stress, physical/emotional pain.  You might be able to self-refer but otherwise a referral from a physician is all you need.

There may be an eating disorders clinic or centre in your community that you can attend related to your issue.  I'm planning to attend an emotional eating group in the spring when I'm about 9 months out.

There are also great books you can buy or borrow from the library related to binge eating/emotional eating.  If we all didn't already have an eating disorder we wouldn't need WLS.

I know there's money involved which isn't always easy for folks but one of the most important things you can do for yourself is get a therapist to explore these issues with.  Think of it as a gift you give to yourself, the same way an executive would have a coach or an athlete would have a trainer.

Contact your centre and see what they can do to support you - CBT, psychotherapy, dietician, psychiatrist.

All the best,

Deidre

(deactivated member)
on 11/10/13 4:18 am

i' gonna start working through a book called MIND OVER MOOD.  prvt message me if you want to talk.  where r u located?

Zizzler
on 11/10/13 10:51 pm

Mind over mood is an amazing book, have done it myself years ago. It is my "go to" reference if I get off track too - very useful.  Also did "The feeling good handbook", which is very good but I find Mind Over Mood more practical to use.  CBT is something I use regularly and it has changed my life - highly recommend!! 

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

merry1
on 11/10/13 5:27 am - Canada

I'm so afraid the same thing will happen to me!  I suffer anxiety and depression and previously used food to regulate my feelings.  I was fine on Opti which surprised me and since the surgery I am not so interested in food.  My mood  has been pretty much regular with a few downs along the way.  The other post mentioned  mindfulness and I really think that is the key.  My local hospital offers relaxation therapies as well and I went back to a therapist cus I also said I just needed someone to talk to and we can't always share our feelings with friends and family  Look for these options in your area but act quickly, don't it slide.  Phone around on Tuesday and get something set up!

Sunny123
on 11/10/13 5:49 am
RNY on 12/05/13
I hope things get better for you soon!

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Diminishing Dawn
on 11/10/13 7:37 pm - Windsor, Canada

I am a binge water as well.  Some days I think it's now turning into compulsive eating.  It sucks.  Some days are good and some suck.  It will be a challenge for the rest if my life. I did therapy once 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Zizzler
on 11/10/13 11:08 pm

Hi Stefanie - you are not alone.  Suffered from Anorexia from age 12-23, bulimia and binging from 15-23.  I have been recovered for 15+ years but it has not been easy.  Depression, anxiety, weight gain, all been very difficult.  Therapy (individual and group) and learning about these illnesses has really helped -  I had a lot of anger inside me due to physical and mental abuse suffered in my early years.  Therapy allowed me to explore and accept these feelings - very painful but so worth it.  If I had not done it I might not be alive now, which is a scary thing to think about.  I still have the rare food binge if I am extremely stressed, but my biggest concern now is just regular overeating, which I am working on in therapy (again).  In total I have had about 5 years of therapy in my lifetime. find a therapist that you feel comfortable talking to and get started - it can get better if you put in the effort required to get well.  I know it is so hard when you are in the middle of it but you can do it!  Take care of yourself and be gentle with yourself, and come back and tell us how you are doing.

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

Can_Lil_Saint
on 11/11/13 1:26 am - Georgetown, Canada

My service dog is for depression and other mental issues.  I have had depression (with meds) going on a good 20 years now.  I find that I binge eat when I am alone due to my upbringing and being told no. 

I have been told that when I obesess about food to the point of a binge, what is it that I am craving?  For example I just had a self chat over mozzerella sticks.  I found that I was wanting the cheese and not the breading or the sauce, so I was able to satisfy my brain with a single cheese string.  PM me anytime since I have this website on my phone. 

Most Active
Recent Topics