Meds and type 2 diabetes

healthynewlife
on 11/11/13 12:25 am - Guelph, Ontario, Canada

I have a question regarding Type 2 diabetes and the other meds…my biggest reason going for the surgery is to lose weight and to eliminate or reduce most of the medication I am currently taking, most of the time I feel like a walking pharmacy. Can someone comment on Type 2 diabetes, how does that changes after surgery? Do you still have to take insulin if you were taking it before the surgery?

I would really appreciate any comments, thanks.

gaiamist
on 11/11/13 12:36 am - Windsor, Canada

I was not on insulin. I was on a significant amount of Metformin and one other. I have taken neither since surgery (two months out) and my glucose is always in the normal range. I am also no longer taking meds for Cholesterol and my hypertension meds have gone from three different kinds to a small dose of one which the doc expects to be gone in December.

Ref June/10; Dr.Treki Jan/11; Orient Jan/2011; SW Mar/11; hiatus Apr-Oct/11; Dietician class Nov/11; SW Nov/12; Dr.Treki Dec/11; psych Jan/12; Dietician Feb/12; SW Mar/12; Surg Ed class May/12; surgeon Aug 24/12 - agreed to refer file to Hamilton for DS               
healthynewlife
on 11/11/13 10:55 pm - Guelph, Ontario, Canada

Thank you for your response, it is really encouraging to hear, that one can get rid of some meds, I am really worried that I would have to be on them for the rest of my life. I will be happy just to take some, but being on all these meds for the last 10 years is just too much. Is it your family doctor that will monitor which medications need to be reduced and/or which one to continue taking ?   

Patm
on 11/11/13 1:26 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I stayed on Metformin for a couple of months. I am still on cholesterol meds and will always be. I am off my 2 blood pressure meds but due to a heart condition continue on blood thinners. it is definitely better.

Missy_w8
on 11/12/13 3:10 am - Canada

I was on a fairly high dose of insulin and Metformin, and I was still having a hard time controlling my sugars.  Since my surgery 3 weeks ago,  I have not taken any diabetes meds.  My blood sugar has stayed in the normal range...and I can't tell you how thrilled I am about that.  I am also no longer taking my blood pressure meds.

Referral Sent: Jan. 2012, Orientation: Oct. 2012, Post Op Diet Class: Aug. 2013, Surgeon: Sep. 2013,  SURGERY: Oct 23th 2013!!!

healthynewlife
on 11/12/13 4:16 am - Guelph, Ontario, Canada

OMG, that's my dream...I was sent by my doctor to get extra help from Woolwich Community Health Centre regarding my high blood sugars and I really don't want to go, I am so tired of dealing with my diabetes.  I can hardly wait for my surgery, I was told approx in May 2014 and I was referred  on September 25th 2012.  My biggest delay was that I had to go through sleep study tests and that delayed me by 8 months, but I have to believe that my time will come:) My doctor told me that I don't have to have it, but I found out 3 months later that I have no choice and the waiting list to get an appointment was 6-8 months. I am glad that is over and I was cleared to attend post-op class in Feb 2014.

Thank you for your response.

Dar_Mab
on 11/12/13 4:26 am - Kitchener, ON, Canada
RNY on 03/08/13

I was on met forming with dr threatening to put me on insulin.  I have not taken any medication since opti.   I am 8 months out and my blood sugar couldn't be more perfect.  So glad I did it. It was my goal when I started and now I don't have type 2 diabetes anymore.  

HW: 305   SW: 272  CW: 155  Height: 5'4"

PaulaToronto
on 11/13/13 3:05 am, edited 11/13/13 3:08 am - Toronto, Canada

I was on highest dose of metformin, another drug that escapes my memory and victoza injections.  I went off all drugs the day of surgery and have not had to take another one since.  I do track my numbers daily still cuz for while my numbers were too low. I have had some regain and getting diabetes back is my number 1 concern so I am back to weight loss mode to lose it.

I am still insulin resistant which means I react horrible to carbs, fruit, etc.  I did a low low carb diet during weight loss otherwise I would not lose weight. When I went into maintenance I gave myself permission to eat more fruit, which I love, to my detriment. It was one of the main factors for my regain.  Yes I made other bad choices too but going from none to two or three fruit a day was a problem for me. 

You will have to gauge for yourself how your body reacts but from my experience go as low carb as you can during weight loss, keep tracking your sugar levels and add carbs very slowly and carefully in maintenance. P.s. I only had the VSG but it was enough to put my diabetes into remission. My endo is very happy.

I would highly recommend getting help during first few months after surgery until your blood sugars stabilize. As someone who once had diabetes I will never be free from not testing, etc.  I don't have to be as vigilant - maybe test once or twice a week as opposed to daily but you still need to stay aware and vigilant.

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

Most Active
Recent Topics