Portion size confusion

PepperBB
on 11/12/13 6:17 am - Canada

I have a feeling I may never get this right lol.

What is the portion size for a meal on the puree diet?? I am so confused. Leta say I wanted to just have mashed potatoes. What size am I having?? The binder is showing, a tablespoon here and a tablespoon there. I was keeping portions for a meal to 1/2 Cup to 1 cup (liquid only)

Maybe I have been making a mess of things since the beginning? I emailed the dietitian but unfortunately the response I got was, drink lots of water and don't forget your protein (not very helpful-unfortunately) 

I have not lost anything in a week and that was only week 2. I am pretty much giving up at this point. 

Help please! :)

Katie

Katie H.

Referral January 2013 - Orientation at TWH March 4  -  Social Worker May 27 - Nurse Practitioner July 11 - Nutrition Class August 26 - Dietitian September 4 - Psychologist September 4, Meeting with Surgeon September 13 - Surgery October 28

Sunny123
on 11/12/13 10:29 am
RNY on 12/05/13

I have not had surgery but my post-op diet booklet says -

- add one new food at a time.  Start with small amounts: use a small spoon or fork to help you take tiny bites

-Eat 1 to 2 tablespoons every 15 minutes. Gradually increase so you are taking 1/2 cup of food at a meal (4 to 6 meals per day)

-take your time and eat slowly.  You need to focus while eating. Take at least 20 to 30 minutes to eat a meal.

- If you feel pain or discomfort when eating, stop eating and take a break. Try again later

This is from Kingston...

You're probably in a stall which if you do a search on the top of the page you will get a lot of threads on stalls...They're normal.

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Katie M.
on 11/12/13 11:50 am, edited 11/12/13 11:59 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

I make my meals 1/2 a cup, all foods combined. So if I want chilli and potatoes I'll do a little more than 1/4 of a cup of chilli and have a few tbsp of potatoes. If I want roast beef and beans, I do 1/4 cup of meat and 1/4 cup beans. Most of the time unless it's "slider" food like chilli or soup, I can't eat an entire 1/2 cup but I always eat the highest protein first and then work on the rest if I'm still hungry :) If you're having just mashed potatoes I'd keep it to 1/4 of a cup and if you're still hungry try a bite at a time. 

Perhaps you're adding muscle from walking? Does your gym have one of those Tanita scales that measures fat/muscle/water etc? You could just be having the week 3 stall a bit early, and in a few days you'll start to lose again. Try on some clothes that were a bit small before surgery and see how they fit. It's working - you're just adjusting! 

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

PepperBB
on 11/12/13 8:12 pm - Canada

Okay thanks!! I'm going to stick to the 1/2 cup for my meals then. 

Katie H.

Referral January 2013 - Orientation at TWH March 4  -  Social Worker May 27 - Nurse Practitioner July 11 - Nutrition Class August 26 - Dietitian September 4 - Psychologist September 4, Meeting with Surgeon September 13 - Surgery October 28

4-Jane
on 11/12/13 11:57 am - Canada

Please do not give up on yourself..... You will get it, it's hard at first but take your time it will get easier... Take care

Respectfully Jane
PepperBB
on 11/12/13 8:13 pm - Canada

Thanks!! 

Katie H.

Most Active
Recent Topics