Straws

4-Jane
on 11/12/13 10:18 am - Canada

So awhile back I was in my clinics waiting room with two other women one has a cup with straw.  We were talking so I asked about the straw, because I was told we were not to use straws after surgery both said they had been using straws for along time without issues.  Later that same day I asked and was told a different response than was originally told which was that drinking from a straw would cause painful gas.  Well this time I was told it would stretch a persons pouch.  It has bothered me to hear to different responses from the clinic in that I like to be told the entire truth and do not want to live in fear as fear is not helpful so no I am not drinking from a straw but want to hear what others have to say regarding this issue.

Respectfully Jane
Hennagirliegirl
on 11/12/13 11:04 am - Canada

The documentation I have from Humber says straws cause swallowing too much air which equals gas. I didn't read anything about stretching the pouch.

Terri

Needanewbeginning
on 11/12/13 1:10 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

I agree, we get many mixed messages from centres. You cannot stretch your pouch with using straws, it's physically impossible. You can gave discomfort though. 

Annette enlightened

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

birdiegirl
on 11/12/13 6:02 pm

Hi Jane

I think the straw issue is to prevent taking in too much air early out....and causing discomfort in your pouch.....

I don't understand the clinic indicating you could stretch your pouch....honestly I think that is ridiculous and the type of answer a health care practitioner gives when they don't want to really answer your question....or they just don't know the reason and don't want to appear as if there is nothing they don't know....

I didn't use a straw the first year or so....I use one all the time now.....

For what its worth......use one and just ensure you don't gulp air with it.......for some people its easier to drink their fluids with a straw.....

Laurie C.
on 11/12/13 8:34 pm - Collingwood, ON, Canada

I have been using a straw for my protein drink since I had my surgery.  I have trouble with the smell of the whey.  No trouble with the straw.

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

4-Jane
on 11/12/13 8:50 pm - Canada

Thanks ladies, I'm timid to do things that I have been told not to so for now I will not try but, I like the truth or least consistency, 

Respectfully Jane
KerryF.
on 11/12/13 9:23 pm - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

I wondered the same thing about straws. I see people coming into the TWH professionally led group meetings with straws in their cups sometimes and I think  wow is this breaking the rules is this not supposed to be a huge bad thing? And if I could use them for my protein shakes they would be a lot easier to get down... right now I'm counting the days until I don't need them anymore.

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

Most Active
Recent Topics