Some Optifast questions

Sunny123
on 11/15/13 4:45 am
RNY on 12/05/13

Firstly, I want to thank everyone from this forum who has supported me and shared their knowledge.

I am on day two of Optifast. The first day seemed a lot harder than today. Because of the information that others have posted I have a nice collection of sugar free syrups that have helped immensely. Because I was kind of freaked out I tried it straight up - yuck!

I find the vanilla not that good but once you put that pumpkin pie syrup in and cinnamon it's really delicious!  I have also jazzed up the chocolate with chocolate chip syrup. I'd suggest other pre-ops purchase some of these syrups and extracts (Almond, Peppermint, orange) they're a life saver...it really isn't that bad chilled and flavoured. That gives me hope that in a few days time it won't be an issue at all.

I do have a few questions:

1- I do find that I get hungry about a half hour before my scheduled time for a shake (I wait as it's only a half hour) - does that hunger go away eventually?

2- Could my taste buds be changing already? I have a tassimo and have Tim Horton's decaf coffee. Switched to it months ago so I'd be weaned off the caffeine. It tastes different to me already...is that possible?

3 - because I have to use a lot of ice, I like to have a warm drink after. Just had a mug of ho****er with lemon slices in it. Is that okay? I looked up the nutritional value of lemon and it lists carbs - can someone help me out with this? Do I have to wait any particular time after taking a shake before I have my warm drink?

Lastly, it's weird not being able to get up and just grab food out of the pantry - It really has given me an opportunity at the patterns I had with food. I passed a final exam for my license last night and I wanted to eat so bad (good news makes me too)...also, every other tv show and commercial has food in it - yeesh!

Thanks again - Jo

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Katie M.
on 11/15/13 5:52 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

It took me about seven days for the real gnawing hunger to go away, but to be honest I was always hungry my entire four weeks, lol. I may have been a giant baby while on Opti though. You could try having a bit of broth when you get hungry, I found the savoury taste cut the hunger until I could have another shake.

Not sure about the coffee - perhaps because your tongue is getting used to only the sweetness of Opti, the coffee tastes different? That's just a wild guess.

I'd say the lemon in your water is totally fine. You're just have a bit of the juice diluted in the water, not eating the actual lemon. The more water you get in the better, so if you want to have a cup with lemon after every shake I can't see any reason why not. 

I felt the same way about food - it really made me realize how much we focus on it. Every commercial was like torture! I eventually started watching more Netflix so I could avoid that ;) Congrats on passing your final exam!! I saved "special" Opti's for times like those, when I wanted to celebrate or if I saw a big drop in the scale. Vanilla Opti + cookie dough syrup, with half the water, put in the freezer for a bit so it was like ice cream. I only had that concoction once in awhile so it would feel like a treat, and I found that helped :)

Good luck, you're going to do great!!

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Sunny123
on 11/15/13 6:12 am
RNY on 12/05/13

Thanks Kate!

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Most Active
Recent Topics