Nosey/Gossipy CoWorkers - Brainstorm Request

bikinibound2014
on 11/18/13 11:52 pm

I'll eventually have to have a conversation with my boss one day when I find out when my surgery will be

I've decided not to be specific about the reason for my medical absence.  I'll either advise that I'm having a surgery but not say what or just tell them that I'm taking a medical leave -- I've already asked my union and I don't need to give any personal information

The thing is I work with some people that like to know every detail of what goes on in others lives :)  And though I get along well with everyone here at my office I just really want to keep my surgery to myself. But they definitely will all be wondering where I'm for weeks and why -- most of it will be of concern but they are also a little nosey :)  I just don't want to be "water cooler" talk.

My question ...  For those who have chosen to keep this journey private for whatever our reasons how did you explain your absence?

Thanks!

HW 277.0 CW 273.0 Asked for Referral February 2013; Orientation @ Guelph May 16th, 2013; First Appointments July 24th; Nutrition Class August 7th; Second Appointments (& cleared) August 29th; Post Op Class December 9th; meet surgeon January 9th; PATTS Jan 14; Opti starts January 21; Surgery February 11th!

Sunny123
on 11/18/13 11:56 pm
RNY on 12/05/13

Just say you're having surgery. If anyone asks what type just say you'd rather not discuss it, or just say thanks for asking but you'll be fine.  Personally I think it's rude to ask why...but just smile and say you'd rather not discuss it, or that you'll be fine.

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

merry1
on 11/19/13 5:58 am - Canada

I told people the week before the surgery.  I only had one sour response the week I came home.  Everybody was genuinely supportive and complimented me along the way.  I think I was fairly lucky.  I figured they would put two and two together at some point.  Its a personal choice though.  Telling them youre having hernia repair sounds the best and would also lead to weight loss as well and not far from the truth too!  And, some offices are worse than others...let us know how it goes, we are rooting for you!!

Katiebear291
on 11/19/13 12:20 am - Canada
RNY on 12/10/13

lie?  if you give them an answer they will stop wondering  - just think up a good one that isn't too far off the truth - say you have some GI issues and don't want to discuss it further or something.

RNY  - December 10 2013 Dr Lindsay Toronto's Saint Joseph Hospital Toronto

Sunny123
on 11/19/13 1:15 am
RNY on 12/05/13

I am having a hernia repaired...that is what i am telling people..you don't owe anyone an answer...

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Catw
on 11/19/13 1:11 am - Arnprior, Canada

Most of my office knew, but officially I didn't say anything.  Just say that you are having a medical procedure done.  They don't even have to know it's surgery.  If they question your optifast use, tell them it's preparation for the procedure, doctor's orders. Unless they know someone who's been through this, the Opti won't tell them anything.  If they ask about your absence, just tell them that you were given doctor's orders were to stay home for that period of time.

When the weight loss starts to show, you may have to think of something else. Just tell them you've changed your diet based on the results of the procedure (if you want to go that far, or just say you've changed some things in your life and it's helped you lose weight).

None of what I've suggested to you is a lie.  It's all true.

Good luck on your journey, and with the gossip group.

Cathy

Jessica S.
on 11/19/13 1:19 am - Ottawa, Canada

Tell them you are finishing your transition to becoming a woman, that should shut them up pretty fast lol. I only told some and didn't care who talked I mean after they obviously noticed me dropping like crazy but I had only been off for 2 weeks so not enough for many to realize I was gone, they thought holidays. Now I am much smaller and if someone asks I don't lie because I never want to set someone up for failure by telling them to do this diet or whatever but you need to decide what you are comfortable with.

Katiebear291
on 11/19/13 7:26 am - Canada
RNY on 12/10/13

HAHA! just read the 1st sentence....

RNY  - December 10 2013 Dr Lindsay Toronto's Saint Joseph Hospital Toronto

LittleMiss2013
on 11/19/13 1:40 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

I told people I was having a hernia repaired =)

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

bikinibound2014
on 11/19/13 1:43 am

Thanks everyone!! 

HW 277.0 CW 273.0 Asked for Referral February 2013; Orientation @ Guelph May 16th, 2013; First Appointments July 24th; Nutrition Class August 7th; Second Appointments (& cleared) August 29th; Post Op Class December 9th; meet surgeon January 9th; PATTS Jan 14; Opti starts January 21; Surgery February 11th!

Most Active
Recent Topics