Insurance Question

CBarnes11
on 11/21/13 11:04 pm - Port Hope, Canada
RNY on 12/19/13

Another post got me thinking.  I have insurance through my employer.   I haven't had any contact with them as a result of my surgery coming up on the 19th.  As far as I understand, I show the hospital my insurance card and that's it.  Have I completely missed a step in this process?  If I go in and have the surgery, can they deny the claim for hospital coverage?

Catw
on 11/21/13 11:55 pm - Arnprior, Canada

I have insurance through my employer, and with them there are a choice of level of coverage.  I didn't have to tell them anything about my hospital stay, just gave the hospital my insurance information (card) and they did the paperwork.  The only thing you might want to contact your insurance company for is what level of room coverage you have.  I have private, but have to pay 20%.  I take semi-private and don't pay a thing.  Some people weren't aware what level of room they are covered for, and got caught by surprise with a bill after their visit. 

May you have a smooth surgery and quick recovery.

Cathy

Patm
on 11/22/13 12:42 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Like CatW. I just showed them my hospital card. Your employer may need a letter from the doctor for your time off. I received this from a resident while still in the hospital as they wait until you actually have the surgery. With being off for 4 weeks I was actually on disability so they need a letter to come back as well.

BeckyJ58
on 11/22/13 11:12 pm - Cobourg, Canada

Hi Cindy, I have insurance through my employer as well.  You should check to see what is the $$ amount they pay for a room over and above OHIP.  My coverage is $220 per day and my stay in a semi private was $240.  They sent me a bill for $40 the differnce.  I would check with what hospital that youre having the surgery as well, as I had my at Toronto East.  I questionned the hospital concerning semi private or just ward.  They said to take semi private as their wards are co-ed.  Wow news to me. 

PS I have 2 pair of jeans for you and some vitamins with iron that I couldn't take

Becky

kimber291
on 11/23/13 11:10 am, edited 11/23/13 11:12 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

Hi Cindy and Becky...just wanted to shout out a BIG HELLO since we are all from the same area :-)

How are you doing post op Becky? and Congrats Cindy on getting your date!! I am in just the beginning stages myself. I go see my surgeon this Thursday for the first visit.

Cindy a friend of mine had the same surgeon you are having and she swears by him. She was hoping I would have the same one but I was referred to Humber and got Dr.Klein as my surgeon.

Look forward to getting to know you ladies better, if your interested. It is nice to have some local buddies that are going through the same procedures.

Have a great weekend .
Kim

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

Most Active
Recent Topics