Blood work

PepperBB
on 11/24/13 10:52 pm - Canada

I have my follow-ups on December 4 for the dietitian and nurse practitioner, should I talk to my doctor about getting updated bloodwork? 

Can anyone tell me what they do at these appointments as I was told on the phone that they last a few hours. 

Katie H.

Referral January 2013 - Orientation at TWH March 4  -  Social Worker May 27 - Nurse Practitioner July 11 - Nutrition Class August 26 - Dietitian September 4 - Psychologist September 4, Meeting with Surgeon September 13 - Surgery October 28

Needanewbeginning
on 11/24/13 11:07 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

At my centre HRRH you get your paperwork for your blood work when you are at your appointment. My appt with my dietician was at 10:30, saw the nurse right after her at 11:20, then they gave me my blood work requisition to take to the lab where I only waited (surprisingly) 15 minutes. So yes, it's a couple of hours from beginning to end of your appointments. One thing I had forgotten about for my three month follow up was I needed to fast, so this time I made sure I didn't eat or drink ( excep****er to take my morning meds/vits) after midnight. I was a little concerned that I wouldn't be eating/drinking til noon or later, but I was fine, totally felt great, I ate a protein bar in the car on my hour ride home.

Annette 😄

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

Katie M.
on 11/24/13 11:09 pm - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

No blood work needed for the first follow up :) They'll give you a requisition to get done 3-4 weeks before your 2nd follow up though. 

All that really happens is someone will come get you to be weighed first, then you'll talk to a nurse who looks at your incisions and takes your blood pressure, asks if there are any concerns. Then they'll send you to the same room where we had the nutrition class. That's where you see the nutritionist with a group of other people. She goes over a power point presentation, basically a lot of the same info as the first class but with questions and answers and discussion from the group. I learned a bit from that group, lots of things I didn't think I could eat and apparently I can! Then the nurse comes back and goes over her little presentation about the medical stuff that could be going on and reviews the follow up process down the line. Then you have a chance to ask questions in private with the nurse or the nutritionist, although no one from my class really did. I think there were only three of us who wanted to speak to the nurse. That's it! I was there from 12:30 - about 3:30 I think, could have been a little earlier/later.

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

PepperBB
on 11/24/13 11:18 pm - Canada

Great! Thanks!

Katie H.

Referral January 2013 - Orientation at TWH March 4  -  Social Worker May 27 - Nurse Practitioner July 11 - Nutrition Class August 26 - Dietitian September 4 - Psychologist September 4, Meeting with Surgeon September 13 - Surgery October 28

Most Active
Recent Topics